exterior door handle broke :( - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
forgive me for being idiot but the Fiat 500 part to fix the broken handle were all talking about .................... it is for the right side of the picture highlighted with the red circle ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hinge.jpg (78.9 KB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Yes.
AO Silver Member

Garage
ok so i just did this ..................... few things to report

i was planning on not taking out the glass................ i couldn't do it the glass had to be removed so it was 3 bolts no hassle, AMAZED that its possible with it in place, this gives you viewing benefits from the top down into the door itself so actually its a benefit for having excellent views of everything you need to see what your dismantling

secondly in order to remove the handle itself you need to pull the handle as the mechanism needs to be in the open position for remove

putting it back in the handle needed a slight tap so that the location lugs would do there thing, without this i couldn't get the handle to sit flush

easy simple fix anyone in same situation should defiantly have a go, simple basic tools nothing special £9.77 from main dealer

AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

alfa gt

Handle

It is possible with glass in situ, but very very fiddly, just mark position of glass on runners with tippex and remove bolts, just pull glass up and secure with duck tape and its then easy to get to handle bolts.

Just one tip - dont undo the wiring to the power windows - i did this and they went crazy for about a week - despite all the resets.

(The windows shut themselves when I closed the door, which is heart stopping because if you left your keys in there you think it might lock as well)
AO Member

County: Western Isles

Member car:

Alfa Red GT Q2

Just finished the hinge replacement on the passenger side. Easier than replacing the entire handle (last years job) as I didn't need to completely remove the fixed end from the door. I managed without removing the glass. 10mm ratchet spanner with a hinged end helped a lot.

Passenger side has only one link rod to release, making it a bit easier.

I thoroughly greased the hinge with Aluslip. Like copper grease only aluminium based (copper grease can actually increase aluminium corrosion). It might last a bit longer but I think I will buy a couple of spares to have in stock!

"When you sit in a Focus RS or a Golf R32 itís like sitting in a commercial for Lynx aftershave. When you sit in an 147 GTA itís like sitting in a Venetianís hand-made suitcase." J.Clarkson 2003.

Current fleet: 156 Sportwagon jtd 16V (facelift) 2.4 Spider, Leon Cupra SC, 147 Lusso
Projects: Spider S4, Matra Murena 2.2

County: Dorset
Replacement door handle for a replacement handle and only 6 years old.

Just had another door handle come off in my hand. Now need a replacement for the replacement that was fitted by local Alfa dealer less than 3 years ago, (but more than the 2 year warranty!). The passenger side handle was also replaced less than 2 years ago at a cost of £202. Contacted the local dealer and they weren't sympathetic and then wonder why I don't have my service with them!Can't believe how useless the design/build quality of this basic part is. I know owning an Alfa was going to have frustrations, but didn't expect to replace door handles faster than tyres! I'm going to have to try and replace it myself this time so thanks for all the posts with the advice on how to fit a new one.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by guludenne View Post
Just had another door handle come off in my hand. Now need a replacement for the replacement that was fitted by local Alfa dealer less than 3 years ago, (but more than the 2 year warranty!). The passenger side handle was also replaced less than 2 years ago at a cost of £202. Contacted the local dealer and they weren't sympathetic and then wonder why I don't have my service with them!Can't believe how useless the design/build quality of this basic part is. I know owning an Alfa was going to have frustrations, but didn't expect to replace door handles faster than tyres! I'm going to have to try and replace it myself this time so thanks for all the posts with the advice on how to fit a new one.
Ouch, that is unlucky. When you fit the next door handle, make sure it is lubricated when you fit it as the eventual seizure of the hinge is what causes it to snap.
AO Member

County: Worcestershire

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Hi All

Last week the passenger door handle on my GT broke at the hinge end.

I was trying to decide whether to try and do it myself or take it to garage when yesterday the chuffin' drivers door handle broke at the hinge end!

Does anyone know of a good independent around South Birmingham just in case I bottle it? I'm imagining breaking all sorts of bits of trim if I do it myself.

Thanks
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Simplyalfas in Stourbridge

or

NJS in Pershore

Good Luck
AO Member

County: Worcestershire

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Thanks, I'll see if I can get a quote.
AO Silver Member

County: Denbighshire

Member car:

147 GTA

Passengers door handle has just gone on the twinny!! FFS! Adds. Hinge to the list, new front bumper, MAF, rear wiper and who knows what else and I may end up having to rebuild the thing from scratch! Still love the beast though

County: Dorset
Might be too late and too far from you , but I used Autolusso. Im further south and so used the Ferrndown centre and they did a good job, but the main garage is in Bedfordshire. Autolusso also helped out with some other bits that needed doing and significantly cheaper and more sympathetic than the local main dealer. I'll use them when the next thing goes wrong!
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT

Passenger handle hinge broken, hinge part only on order, there is a new part number for this according to Eurekacaprarts.com , it's now 51964555. While waiting for the part, I wanted to prevent the handle being accidently torn off completely as the hinge end was now loose. I got my waterproof silicon sealent/adhesive, standard stuff used in bathrooms, and put a good blob on each side of the broken hinge, (it comes apart enough to do this,) then pressed it back in place and left it overnight. The silicon set and created a flexible joint which is keeping the handle seated yet allowing the handle to move the angle of 10 or less degrees needed to open the door. Is this a quick fix or what? I'll wait till it breaks before I install the new hinge, I've seen how tough it is to remove this stuff, so I might be waiting a long time.

Last edited by deezel; 07-04-14 at 10:05.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
I fixed one of those hinges on a 147 a few months back I replaced the broken part with one made from a piece of brass plate I had knocking about. The tricky bit was knocking out the pin without breaking the casting. I scrapped the first one but the second was fine. I made one because the one supplied didn't fit for some reason . Can't remember why now.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

I tried to fix a previously broken drivers door hinge, drilled the door side and put a tiny screw through, catching a little nut jammed in the wedge of the handle side. It worked, but then I used a lamp to heat the seized joint in order to free it, and the hinge melted! It's only made of diecast, practically solder really. I'll leave the silicon rubber/adhesive fix in place until it falls off, who know how long that will be?

County: Neamt

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

Greetings folks,

Excuse my bad English ... I try to make myself understood, about my problem.

I have a 147 (4 door) Alfa, and my right front door exterior handle isn`t working - it doesn't open the door.

The interior handle works, lock and unlock works, only the exterior handle doesn't work.

Seems like the rod is out of the hole ... Can u help me with some tips or technical data (images of the rod position) to put back that rod ... Where is it, where can i find it ... it is difficult to put it back? ...

P.S. I`ve already taken off the door card some time ago to inspect the speakers, and it was easy for me.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp View Post
Greetings folks,

Excuse my bad English ... I try to make myself understood, about my problem.

I have a 147 (4 door) Alfa, and my right front door exterior handle isn`t working - it doesn't open the door.

The interior handle works, lock and unlock works, only the exterior handle doesn't work.

Seems like the rod is out of the hole ... Can u help me with some tips or technical data (images of the rod position) to put back that rod ... Where is it, where can i find it ... it is difficult to put it back? ...

P.S. I`ve already taken off the door card some time ago to inspect the speakers, and it was easy for me.

See the Handle Image below. Its possible the rod Marked 'A' has came away from the handle, or come away from the door lock. In either case, you will need to remove the door card to look in at it.
If the rod is intact and can be seen moving the lever on the lock, then the lock mechanism is faulty (stuck in locked mode), this is why you can only open the door from the inside. Even though you can hear the lock/unlock working, it isn't, as the inside handle will always open the door even if it is locked with the key. You will need to replace the electric door lock mechanism.
If the rod has come away from the handle, You may need to remove the window glass to get to the handle. It will make it easier to connect the rod. The glass is removed by loosening three bolts on the frame. These bolts are accessible through holes in the door frame when the window is wound up. The door handle is removed by removing a bolt at the front hinge end of the handle ('C'), and a Torx screw which is facing back inside the door frame just behind the fixed (car key) part of the handle, (the red square area of the picture), 2a in second picture. If the rod has came away from the lock, you should not need to remove the handle, unless the plastic twist clip which holds the rod to the door lock has fallen off or broken.
One other possible problem could be that the curved plastic slot which goes from the door handle to through the door into the lever mechanism is broken, ('B' in the picture). If the back end of this has broken off, it will not operate the mechanism, but if this is the case the handle would pull straight out of the fixed part, so it is unlikely.
Here is a link to how to do the work, but it does not mention removing the door glass for access. http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_g...r_handle.shtml

The picture below is very similar to an alfa lock, but the rod would have a right hand bend on the end of about 5 mm.

Alfa handle.jpg

alfa door lock.jpeg

Last edited by deezel; 21-07-14 at 10:10. Reason: typo

County: Neamt

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

Tnx for the info referring to handle.

I`ve taken the door card off and the rod A was not in place.

I`ve putted back in place and that`s it.

I`ve didn`t taken out the glass, only the plastic guide rail for the interior handle rod from the middle of the door.

Some marks on my hand but i can live with it.

P.S. My door handle differs a little from that from photo.

Tnx again!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

Yes, no need to take out the glass unless removing the handle. I have big hands so many scrapes.

County: Newport

Member car:

Alfa gt

Thumbs Up Alfa gt door handle

I had a door handle hinge go on my gt . And the fiat 500 hinge is the same as the gt so went down LC MOTORS (fiat dealer) got the fiat 500 hinge and it fitted a treat and it was only £10 ish . So spread the word to save other people £50
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance_24 View Post
I had a door handle hinge go on my gt . And the fiat 500 hinge is the same as the gt so went down LC MOTORS (fiat dealer) got the fiat 500 hinge and it fitted a treat and it was only £10 ish . So spread the word to save other people £50
I thought they looked similar. My mum has just bought a 500.
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

Alfa 147 GTA

So I did this, and am fairly incompetant with jobs. Still, I got it done.. the only problem is that the windows now don't quite go up to the top, and there is a lot of wind noise. How can I resolve this best..? I fear if I strip it all down again, and move the glass up slightly and rebolt it, it will still be aligned wrongly.. is there a way of knowing exactly where to put it, or is it just a case of experimentation now I've messed it up?

Cheers
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fewleh View Post
So I did this, and am fairly incompetant with jobs. Still, I got it done.. the only problem is that the windows now don't quite go up to the top, and there is a lot of wind noise. How can I resolve this best..? I fear if I strip it all down again, and move the glass up slightly and rebolt it, it will still be aligned wrongly.. is there a way of knowing exactly where to put it, or is it just a case of experimentation now I've messed it up?

Cheers
If you didn't move the glass, when you did your repair, I would try disconnecting the battery and doing the reset thingy.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...acle-cure.html
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

Alfa 147 GTA

Oh, I moved the glass, I don't think I made a good job of remembering exactly where it was before I took it out..
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

setting glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fewleh View Post
Oh, I moved the glass, I don't think I made a good job of remembering exactly where it was before I took it out..
The glass is held in by three small nut, but there is room for moving the glass before you tighten them down. I assume your car is a GT, then close the door (door card still off), window fully up, and with the nuts loose push the glass up into the roof rubber recess, then tighten the the three nuts. You might need another pair of hands on the far side to 'sandwich' the glass and give it a push up (and forward) to seat it tight. You could also just do this with the door open, semi loosen the nuts and pull the glass up, tighten and then close the door slowly, the glass should just clear the edge of the roof rubber, then when it shuts the window motor winds it home into the recess. trial and error with this method.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
broke , door , exterior , handle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page