exterior door handle broke :( - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes

AO Member

County: East Sussex
Broken door handle hinge replaced in 45 mins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Instead of replacing the handle and taking the door appart just replace the hinge . There is enought room to undo retaining screw in the handle and you can get to the retaining nut behind the glass. And the hinges as stated before are the same both sides and from the 147 too.
Thank to kevin for supplying the 147 handle for me to try . must owe you a few beers by now!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Bravo Multiair

Any chance you could go into a bit more detail as I will be attempting this as soon as parts arrive and wasn't looking forward to the 26 steps ?
AO Member

pm me and i will call u so much easier
it is really simple

AO Member

Thumbs Up

ok here i go here are the steps i have taken
1:Remove door card jusrtbe careful when levering it off
2: Pull handle until fully out and using screw driver bit and spanner remove hinge retaining screw from the door . Use your thumb to press screw driver bit into screw head when turning with spanner.
3: With window all the way up use long handled 10mm spanner loosen nut and then undo with fingers
4: Replace hinge on handle and then insert into door
5: Refit nut onto hinge on inside off door .Little bit fiddly but be patient and it will go on. Then tighten with spanner
6:Refit door panel and think about how much u saved
if you get stuck pm me
AO Member

Member car:

Bravo Multiair

Nice,
In step 2 is it a phillips or straight bit ?

County: Cork
Garage
Philips. I hammered an old PH2 bit into a cheap 6mm spanner.

6mm spanner philips head.JPG
AO Member

Now i could be about to be shot down but if you look at the fiat 500 it has the same door handles so the hinge looks the same. Now being curious was looking on flea bay and the hinge is avalible as a seperate part for about 13 . So no more huge bills when the handle breaks and its a quick job too
AO Member

Member car:

Bravo Multiair

Yeah, I'd already spotted that and have got one on the way. Fingers crossed it's the same hinge.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...dle-hinge.html
AO Member

I done the same tonight . Both mine are ok now but i thought i would get one and see if it was the same. Fingers crossed it is will save some money for other things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AO Member

Member car:

Bravo Multiair

I can confirm that the Fiat 500 hinge is the same as the 147 one.
So handle fixed for 12.99

The new one came with a plastic rivet thing which I wasted half an hour on trying to use so I could avoid removing the door card - didn't work, but not a problem as you can obviously just re-use the nut from the old one. I also managed to do it without removing the window by using a long reach socket which fitted through a convenient hole that lets you get to the back of the new hinge.
Feeling pretty smug right now - especially since I was quoted 99.99 (without fitting) for a new handle by a dealer yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hinge.jpg (39.4 KB, 262 views)
AO Member

thats great makes the door handles cheap to replace. And its not a bad job to do too. I wonder how long before the stealers offer this instead off a complete handle.
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

alfa gt

windows

[QUOTE=pubsinger;3401637]I think you'll find the easiest way is, when unlocking the door with the remote, keep your finger on the button for a few seconds and both windows will open, reach in and open the driver's door using the interior handle.

Always seemed odd to me that the windows don't close when holding the button to lock the door, seems a far more useful feature....but then, that's Alfa for you.

All the best

My windows go up when I hold the lock button - Alfa GT 1.9JTDm
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

Some genius decided to pull my handle clean off the passenger side last week whilst parked up.

So I now have a broken clip to the left and a hole closer to the lock mechanism where presumably a rod goes in?

I have a used handle being delivered but will I be able to use Adeb38 method?

I am guessing the handle will have the rod on it? (if thats what it is), then I undo the old broken hinge to the left and swap it over?

2: Pull handle until fully out and using screw driver bit and spanner remove hinge retaining screw from the door . Use your thumb to press screw driver bit into screw head when turning with spanner.
3: With window all the way up use long handled 10mm spanner loosen nut and then undo with fingers
5: Refit nut onto hinge on inside off door .Little bit fiddly but be patient and it will go on. Then tighten with spanner
if you get stuck pm me

Current Italian Cars:-
2004 Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 JTS
Previous Italian Cars :-
2003 Maserati 4200 Cambiocorsa
2006 Alfa Brera 2.2 SV JTS
1999 Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD
2005 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 JTS Veloce
2004 Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTD
2001 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 Lusso
2002 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 JTS

Mine just broke too, driver's side. Read Adeb38's method, and ordered a new hinge off ebay...though with Christmas, I'll probably have to live with it like it is for at least a week...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

I received my used handle and got to work today.

Door card removal = easy

As others have said, this is VERY fiddly. I have the slightly unique position in that someone snapped off my entire handle including the black prong that sticks into the door.

So I thought (wrongly) my best attempt was to take off the old hinge bolt (which after fiddling and swearing in the rain/dark) I managed to undo using an open ended spanner and sliding it up, undoing a little at a time until loose.

Not my next problem was getting the handle part of the duo onto my old lock unit which was in place (thinking I could avoid taking off the old lock part). I managed to detach the lock from the handle section but then quickly realised it would be a nightmare to do the same with it in position.

So tomorrow I am taking out the lock part after removing the rods and trying to stick it all back together again...fingers crossed for tomorrow and no rain!.

Found the black arm that normally goes into the door sat at the bottom of the door, after being violently pulled by an overnight Alfa killer!

Oh and two tips so far:-

1) I found it easier to cut a clean line on both sides for the inner liner, as even with a stanley the glue was staying put and very difficult to cut without touching the paint/tearing the liner. I will then reseal with some high quality water resistant tape.

2) To remove the lock part of the handle you need to remove the water proofing rubber which is held by 3 plastic clips and the top one. You can just remove the top one and the very left of the three and the torx will be visible. Reducing potential for damage.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Alfisti View Post
Some genius decided to pull my handle clean off the passenger side last week whilst parked up.

So I now have a broken clip to the left and a hole closer to the lock mechanism where presumably a rod goes in?

I have a used handle being delivered but will I be able to use Adeb38 method?

I am guessing the handle will have the rod on it? (if thats what it is), then I undo the old broken hinge to the left and swap it over?

if you get stuck pm me
i have a method there is a tear in my eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but spent the money saved in the pub
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

All fixed now

Couple more points/tips:-

If you find that upon re-screwing the lock side of the handle back in, the handle doesn't self return, slacken off the torx bolt a tad, you will see the handle return.

The handle can be replaced without window removal, but requires a bit more dexterity and removing the rods from the bottom and not the top.

First chance I've had to have a go at replacing the hinge (thanks to the rain), having problems getting the door card off. Removed all the screws, bolts etc, and trying to pull the card away to release the poppers, though just doesn't seem to budge. Scared of using too much force, and a bit scared of using a screwdriver etc in case I damage exposed metal/paint work....anyone else have this problem??
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerzm View Post
First chance I've had to have a go at replacing the hinge (thanks to the rain), having problems getting the door card off. Removed all the screws, bolts etc, and trying to pull the card away to release the poppers, though just doesn't seem to budge. Scared of using too much force, and a bit scared of using a screwdriver etc in case I damage exposed metal/paint work....anyone else have this problem??
Did you get the bolt underneath the plastic cap in the internal door pull?

Yeah, got every bolt and screw free, just doesn't seem to want to pull away from the door. The only possible thing I can think of is getting a screwdriver or something, down the sides and trying to prise it free, but like I said, I'm scared of doing any damage.

Managed to finally get the door card off! After a bit of swearing... Though getting at the nut on the hinge without fear of dropping it inside the door is not a pleasant experience, especially with the glass in place.

County: Dublin

Member car:

GT JTD 1.9 2004

Just wondering......as my exterior door handle has NOT broken (yet).....is there anything one should do that might prevent this problem? And I don't mean climb in through the boot!!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcgov View Post
Just wondering......as my exterior door handle has NOT broken (yet).....is there anything one should do that might prevent this problem? And I don't mean climb in through the boot!!
Lubricate the hinge mechanism.

County: Dublin

Member car:

GT JTD 1.9 2004

Thanks Pud237, will put it on my TTD list.
AO Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
finally got round to doin mine today after my old man ripped my handle off.
i purchased a 147 handle of ebay thinking they would be the same but the hinged/sprung part was different so instead of removing the lock barrel (which i read to be very tricky) i just removed the hinge pins and swopped the new handle over to the gt lock and refitted everything with a nail.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
broke , door , exterior , handle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page