exterior door handle broke :( - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes

AO Member

County: Monmouthshire
Well Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeSe View Post
Replaced the handle and hinge, did not remove the glass, Mainly because I could not work out how to move the glass.

Anyway what can I say, I guess I was born special...
Or you were born less than 3 years ago? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Warwickshire
improvements to the wonderful pub singer methods

25. Swap the lock barrel over. To do this you need to release the curved metal armature that is rocked when you pull the door handle. It has to be levered out of the black plastic cradle that passes from the outer to the inner of the handle. Undo the 3 x screws on the inside of the handle, finally there is a U shaped clip that needs to be prised out that releases the lock barrel from the holder.

You only need to pop out the u-spring then the lock can be wriggled out with the key in. Bend the spring back so it is tight, slide the new lock in and push the spring back in. You don't need to touch the black plastic.

The nut on the hinge can be accessed easily through the hole facing it using a long ten mm socket ..
Move the plastic inside handle rod guide (3 self tappers) and release the window motor for access to the handle from inside the door.
Don't remove the window - get the handle half out and pop off the clips with a flat screwdriver before finally pulling the handle out.
Locate the lock clip (yellow plastic) with the handle half through the fitting hole - fit in position then a hand up the door allows the door opening rod to be clipped into the red plastic easy for any human hand (mine are XXL).

Beware when flicking out the door switches - the top can pop off if the bottom screw is not removed completely giving a spray of little plastic knobs that take ages to reassemble (can be done),
AO Member

Thank you for the posts here.

I also made a hinge at the weekend and it works a treat. the job took me 2hrs all together, the hinge was more complicated than expected and I used a sharp hack saw, dremel and belt sander.

I did break the plastic clip at the top corner of the door and when putting it back together used my hot glue gun to glue in a wide flat head bolt and then glued the flat top part of the clip on top - this worked a treat!

I did take the galss out (marking where the three bolts were first) as my big hands could not get in, even when the window was in the door closed postion.
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
Gonna have a go at replacing my broken handle today.
Club Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
Did you get it done Ros

Or are you still out there swearing at it .
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEL View Post
Did you get it done Ros

Or are you still out there swearing at it .
Its done. The car feels loads faster now!!
Club Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Wikked
moto

I meant to post this ages ago but I gave up trying to do the door handle change myself and gave the job to Alfie at Heath Road Garage in Sandbach - thoroughly recommend them!!
cheers
moto

AO Member

County: Devon
Just if people want an idea of the cost of getting a garage to do it (I'm far too impatient to try myself!):

Part - 71 + VAT
Labour - 1.5 hours labour + VAT

Seemed fair to me and they did a great job (Perfect Service, Newton Abbot, Devon)
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Evening chaps, just thought i'd pitch in as this is a problem for me too - passenger side handle hinge snapped a while back. My own fault for being heavy handed.

Anyway, I ended up being able to get an old 147 handle for 35 delivered, and took the hinge off and have WD40'd it - it was so, so stiff I can completely understand why these weaker hinges end up just snapping. Lesson for everyone is keep it well lubricated (arf!)

So when I have some spare time this week I'll be attempting the walk through, I bought a Draper door panel removing tool for the card - no idea what I'm going to encounter in terms of needing to get the glass off or not, but anyway - i'll be having a crack.

In terms of the interior nut - can anyone recommend a tool for this? A standard 10mm spanner, or a ratch?

Also, I'll be taking the hinge to a friend of mine at work tomorrow, an engineer - he has to commission parts like this for various fixes around factories and rail carriages etc, see if he can recommend whether getting some cast professionally would be do-able or not. I guess the demand would be there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hinge2.jpg (40.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Fitzchiv; 12-08-12 at 20:15. Reason: Picture.
AO Member

I would use a 10mm ring spanner for the interior nut, I did lift the glass out to make more room, it was easy to do (don't forget to mark the location of the two bolts to keep adustment right).

If I had one a 10mm ratchet spanner would be easier, I don't think a socket will fit in.

John
AO Member

County: West Sussex
^^^agreed with above, take the door glass out.

You will find that you will bu99er about for 15 mins trying to do it without, only to find that 2 nuts hold the window in place an you can have it out in 2 minutes, its really that easy.
Unregistered

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzchiv View Post
Also, I'll be taking the hinge to a friend of mine at work tomorrow, an engineer - he has to commission parts like this for various fixes around factories and rail carriages etc, see if he can recommend whether getting some cast professionally would be do-able or not. I guess the demand would be there!
I was having this discussion with a friend of mine who is having the mixed pleasure of owning an old-shape Jag XK-R - mixed because he spent 6 years and hundreds of pounds trying to get an auto-box issue fixed (including replacing sections of wiring loom) only to learn from someone-in-the-know that a relubrication of the linkage between the gear selector and the box was all that was required (something to do with a lever position sensor that would mis-read if the lever was even slightly out of position). I told him that my hinge is already broken at one end and is on borrowed time and he suggested there should be enough interest (with GTs and 147s similarly afflicted and both cars bound to reach classic status) in a third party producing a stainless steel hinge to replace the standard alloy/toffee one.

So, if this comes good count me in for one of the prototypes!
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Well - did it. Took me about 3hrs, however the bulk of the time was spent trying to solve problems right at the end of the process.

Firstly, when it comes to easing the handle forward and out of the GT - there's no discernible way of unclipping the connector rod on the passenger side from the handle mechanism. I wasted half an hour trying to work out how that could be done, and ended up working on the handle as it dangled from the hole in the bodywork.

Secondly though, and this was the absolute killer, when I got access to the handle and unscrewed the broken hinge piece from it - as I separated it from the handle I saw that the hinge itself is cast differently to the one I'd got hold of. So either the handle I bought was wrong (possible) or Alfa changed their parts at some point. It's only a subtle change, but basically the new hinge I was introducing is cast flat to screw directly into the handle metal. The old hinge was cast with a diagonal "chock" out of it, marrying with a plastic lump glued into the handle, and the screw going in diagonally.

A lot of swearing later, having found this out at the very end of completely pulling the door apart, I set about filing the plastic bump down so the new hinge could be screwed into it. It doesn't sit entirely flush to the car now, but it's near as dammit. Really p***ed off though, nothing's ever simple. Also must have damaged the handle mechanism somehow as the spring to pull the handle back in after you've pulled it seems not to work. Great.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Thanks pubsinger, a brilliant guide.

I took the glass and the black plastic support for the inner doorhandle rod out.

The only observation I'd make is that the rubber part at the rear of the door doesn't need to come off. The torx for the handle can be reached by peeling back a corner, and this solves the problem with the large popper getting broken, and the faff with the other 3 clips.

I did both doors. First one took 3.5 hours (hole in the doorskin seemed undersize), the second 1.5hrs at a much more relaxed pace.
Happy days!

Last edited by tomfish; 26-08-12 at 21:15.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
AGGHHH... two days in and mine has just gone too. Thanks to you guys for this thread, i'll let you know how I get on.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Many thanks to pubsinger for detailed instructions , the idea of removing the glass seems a bit daunting at first! but once you get into it its not really a problem , probaly spent less than 2 hours doing complete job including getting the adjustment correct . Purchased new door handle from partsworld-uk for 65.00 brilliant service recd next day , Geoff .

County: West Yorkshire
Door handles

Bought my dream car in december last year, its a grey 06 plate GT 1.9 jtdm.
Turning into a nightmare.
Drivers side tilt handle broken, both external door handles broken and some exhaust valve thingy causing no acceleration.
Thats a grand i'll never see again.
86 an hour labour on such a poorly constructed car is harsh and the problem on the doors seems to be a manufacturing issue so surely alfa should sort it out?????

Get it fixed, get it in Auto Trader, alfa love affair over in under a year, bank balance depleted.
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinleycat View Post
Drivers side tilt handle broken, both external door handles broken and some exhaust valve thingy causing no acceleration.
Thats a grand i'll never see again.
Your door handles have broken and your EGR valve needs cleaning? Where on earth do you get 'a grand' from (that's 1,000UK in case anyone was wondering)?

You can buy brannd new exterior door handles for about 150 the pair and the EGR can be cleaned for nothing (see sticky at the top of the forum). Not sure about the tilt handle, I assume you mean the circular knob for the seat, but won't be much from a breakers.

If that's enough for you to throw the towel in then Alfa ownership ain't for you, there's a lot more to come.

All the best

Pub.

Loose - not close, compact, or tight in structure or arrangement
Lose - to part with or come to be without, as through theft, accident, negligence, etc.
AO Member

County: Bucks
I had a go at changing my broken handle last week.

When I say had a go, I mean got Autolusso to change it!

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubsinger View Post
Your door handles have broken and your EGR valve needs cleaning? Where on earth do you get 'a grand' from (that's 1,000UK in case anyone was wondering)?

You can buy brannd new exterior door handles for about 150 the pair and the EGR can be cleaned for nothing (see sticky at the top of the forum). Not sure about the tilt handle, I assume you mean the circular knob for the seat, but won't be much from a breakers.

If that's enough for you to throw the towel in then Alfa ownership ain't for you, there's a lot more to come.

All the best

Pub.
300 both door handles inc labour 150 the tilt handle, 280 for the sticking egr valve.
730 in total, over egged it a bit!!
TBF a nice man rang me from Alfa this afternoon following my email last night offering to pay at least for one of the door handles.
He didn't want me to lose faith in the brand and admitted the door handles were a bit of a regular issue.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1f4 View Post
AGGHHH... two days in and mine has just gone too. Thanks to you guys for this thread, i'll let you know how I get on.
Well using the excellent instructions provided here, I replaced my passenger side handle in two hours... well not exactly replaced. I managed to just replace the hinge pin mechanism. Had to take the glass out to get to that bolt but no problem, marked the glass position before hand and all good. Soaked the new pin mechanism in lube before fitting... here's hoping it lasts !. When you have an Alfa.. lube is your best friend

Hats off to Alfa, they're paying for both door handles.
That is customer service!!!!

Apparently these handles (or the mechanism at least) were the same used on the fiat 500, but have now been modified on the 500.
Clearly an issue!!

County: Cheshire
GT Driver Side Door Handle Replacement

Just like to thank Pubslinger for his comprehensive guide to changing a GT driver side door handle. My hinge had siezed and snapped as described elsewhere on this site.

Big problem is you can't just buy a replacement hinge. Mangoletsi's estimated replacement cost to be around 250 including fitting and vat!!!!

These posts have really helped me sort the job for 51 total. I won an auction on E Bay for a new passenger side handle (much cheaper than the driver's side) and swapped the hinge which is common to both.

Pubslinger's guide was great for removing the door card etc, really appreciated, thanks.

Redrob

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
broke , door , exterior , handle