exterior door handle broke :( - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes

AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

alfa romeo gt

pubsinger OBE nomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubsinger View Post
65 inc VAT I paid from the dealer, took a couple of hours to change.

Steps to change driver's door handle GT/147.

1. Remove all screws on bottom edge including the one in the light
2. Remove screw in middle of door card below arm rest, this screw secures the electric window switch node.
3. Remove electric window switch node, this just prises out, disconnect 2 x plugs to node.
3. Undo allen bolt that is revealed by removing switch node.
4. Use a very small screwdriver or maybe a stanley blade, to lift up an edge of the blank in the interior door grab handle, once you have something to get a decent screwdriver behind prise out the blank.
5. Undo allen head bolt revealed by removing the blank.
6. Pull off interior triangular trim that covers the mirror fixings.
7. I also removed the mirror, 3 x torx bolts but looking back I don't think this was necessary.
8. Remove popper from interior, top, rear edge of door. If you can get this off without breaking it, let us all know.
9. Use a small head screwdriver to prise the circular blank behind the interior handle that opens the door.
10. Remove screw revealed by removing the blank and remove the black plastic door handle surround.
11. The door card is now just held on by the poppers on the vertical edges, carefully prise the edges away from the door, these seemed to be much more forgiving, not one of them broke.
12. Disconnect door light connector.
13. Grab both edges of the card and rock it up and off the door.
14. Peel the rubber at the top rear edge of the door from around the 1 popper revealed by removing the card and the 3 poppers above the lock mechanism, I didn't try to prise the poppers out after breaking the one on the top. It's not possible to do the top one this way it has a much larger head.
15. Lift the rubber and exterior weather strip that runs the length of the exterior top of the door up and off.
16. Remove speaker(s)
17. If you hadn't already read in the forum, be amazed that your Bose system (if fitted) has no tweeter, but there is a coiled up connector for one.
18. Use a Stanley blade to cut the adhesive that holds the foam sheet in place, needs to be folded out of the way about halfway down the door. Use a blade to cut it neatly round the other poppers....these didn't look they were going to move.
19. Remove window. Sounds drastic but it's only 2 nuts and one bolt. You'll need to reconnect the switch node and position the window so you can get at these through the holes, 1 x 10mm nut on the bottom front edge, 1 x 10mm bolt and 1 x 10mm nut directly above it on the bottom rear edge.
20. Lift out the window.
21. 10mm spanner in your piano tuner's hand to undo the nut behind the exterior door handle hinge.
22. Undo 1 x torx bolt adjacent to the 3 x poppers revealed by removing the rubber and weather strip.
23. If you're doing the driver's side (like me) there are 2 x rods connecting the door handle to the lock mechanism. If you peer down into the the door you can see the clips on the rods connecting them to the lock mechanism. Unless you have forearms like Popeye you can reach in and push the clips outwards to release the rods.
24. The door handle is now free to be removed, it first needs to slide toward the front of the car and then wriggle the handle out of the hole.
25. Swap the lock barrel over. To do this you need to release the curved metal armature that is rocked when you pull the door handle. It has to be levered out of the black plastic cradle that passes from the outer to the inner of the handle. Undo the 3 x screws on the inside of the handle, finally there is a U shaped clip that needs to be prised out that releases the lock barrel from the holder.
26. In true Haynes style put it all back together in reverse order. It was proving difficult to get the handle back in the hole with both rods connected, I found it easier to remove the rod that operates with the key, insert the handle and then push the rod in using long-nose pliers from the the top. You'll need some sort of adhesive for the foam sheet, a hot glue gun is great for this.

Looking on ePer the popper in the rubber on the rear, top edge of the door that broke is 7677865... 0.50p (ish), although it quotes this same part number for the lower poppers too. Clearly not right as the one on the top has a much larger head.

Additional. Might be worth covering the window fixing points with tippex, indelible marker or similar before undoing, should make it easier to get the window in the right place when refitting.. Had to take mine apart again to adjust the window position as I was suffering (more than usual) wind noise at high speed

All the best

Pub
Pub - youre a hero !!! the instructions above are superb - I would add the following:

1 Just done drivers side on my GT - took almost 2 hours
2 Bought a new handle from dealer 85inc vat - thought a scrap part was false economy
3 Just replaced the hinge i.e. left the rest of the handle assembly as was
4 You will need an assistant with the manual dexterity of an 8 year old russian gymnast and the thinking capacity of Steven Hawking
5 Dont be put off - it is a very do-able and satisfying job
6 Do follow the instructions and remove the glass but DO mark the position first - it saves 10 mins faffing around when you refit the glass
7 Make sure you have a magnetic pickup tool BEFORE you start as you WILL drop a nut, screw, socket into the depths of the door (final count for me was 8 times)
8 A ratchet ring spanner is the best to get the 10mm nut off
9 I was able to get the big popper at the top rear of the door card off and reuse it - i used flat cable strippers under either side to prise her out

All in a very do-able job which should save you 2 hours labour at a dealer

Thanks again Pubsinger

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Dorset
I replaced the handle, hinge, lock and mechanism...

I did not remove the window though... mainly because I could not work out how to, however I could not really see what advantage or additional space this would provide me with either??

I did remove the right hand rails that the window slides in however, and left that in the bottom of the door, as the rods run behind this.

Also in the guide it says one popper always breaks? I have not experienced this problem.

Has anyone got the part number for the small black rubber/plastic cap that I drilled a hole through in the interior grab handle?

Cheers.
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
The front hinge on my driver's door handle broke today.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
The front hinge on my driver's door handle broke today.
Can anyone give me a part number of the bit I need to buy to fix it, please?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
There isn't just one, it depends on year/model etc. If you have the plastic door handles instead of the metal ones like the early GT has then you'll be pleased to know even brand new ones aren't all that dear, so you're best off getting a new one. If you have an early one then 2nd hand handles are not very hard to find.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
There isn't just one, it depends on year/model etc. If you have the plastic door handles instead of the metal ones like the early GT has then you'll be pleased to know even brand new ones aren't all that dear, so you're best off getting a new one. If you have an early one then 2nd hand handles are not very hard to find.
Well mine's a late 2008 so don't know if it'll be early or late.

I know the outer handle is brushed aluminium rather than chrome though.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Thats a late type one, is there also no lock barrel in the passenger side handle?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Thats a late type one, is there also no lock barrel in the passenger side handle?
Nope, driver's side only.
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
Check shop4parts bought a passenger side one for 68 delivered!
And this was only on Friday.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_lloyd View Post
Check shop4parts bought a passenger side one for 68 delivered!
And this was only on Friday.
Is that the same type as mine though? They only list one part for each side.
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
Can't answer that I'm afraid! Give them a bell, the bloke was really helpful and couldn't do enough for me.
Good luck!
AO Member

County: West Sussex
just buy the cheapest door handle like the one from S4P as the hinge can be robbed off and used on your existing handle.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conaero View Post
just buy the cheapest door handle like the one from S4P as the hinge can be robbed off and used on your existing handle.
Do both types of handle use the same hinge?
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire
Quote:
I bought a new drivers side exterior handle for my Blackline which is brushed ali last week. The part number was 156073275.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy-steve View Post
I bought a new drivers side exterior handle for my Blackline which is brushed ali last week. The part number was 156073275.
Cheers! Where from and how much did it cost?
AO Member

I am looking into the possibility of getting some door handle hinges made but need an old hinge (even a broken one) as a pattern. Can anyone help?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T's Dad View Post
I am looking into the possibility of getting some door handle hinges made but need an old hinge (even a broken one) as a pattern. Can anyone help?
I'll do my best when I replace mine.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T's Dad View Post
Me to!
AO Member

Quote:
Cheers! Where from and how much did it cost?
LC motors Newport. 01633259892. I bought 2 screw covers for the interior door pull and the exterior handle and it came to 81.
AO Platinum Member

Tomorrow, I'm going to attempt a fix.
I'm going to try to knock the pin out of the bit of hinge that's still attached to the door and remove the bit of hinge that's attached to the handle, then make a new bit.
AO Gold Member

Good luck mate.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacool View Post
Good luck mate.
I think I'll need it. :headbang:
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
The shop4parts item is described as chrome but is in fact polished aluminium. I paid 86.36 inc. vat and carriage for 07 GT passenger handle. I telephoned first to confirm that this was correct item for my car. They were very helpful and checked against car reg. number. Fairly straightforward job if you take care not to break door trim clips and not mark the large plug on door pull. Removing glass is easy and gives better access. Pubsinger's 'how to' is spot on.

Good luck

Richard
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Sorry; the 86.36 also included oil filter. What a bargain!

Richard
AO Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Do both types of handle use the same hinge?
They do yes, the hinge just unscrews.

Anyone who can make a batch of a 100 will make a killing at 25 a pop!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
broke , door , exterior , handle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page