exterior door handle broke :( - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes

Thank you Pubsinger for your complete, detailed and clearly explained instructions for changing the door handle. It removed all the guesswork from the job and enabled me to get the handle changed before the rain started!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
what i did was get a hadel of a 147 (same as gt) that was breaking on ebay for £15 delivered, and just used the hinge
you can stop at "step 21" and just change the hinge, the hadel will pull away from door so u can get a small ratcher and "x" bit in to undo the screw
Gary
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddypower205 View Post
Thank you Pubsinger for your complete, detailed and clearly explained instructions for changing the door handle.
You're welcome

AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddypower205 View Post
Thank you Pubsinger for your complete, detailed and clearly explained instructions for changing the door handle.
You're welcome
moto

HELP! Had my GT for a month and knew the door handle was stiff when opening and wouldn't spring back but now it's failed altogether :@(
Everywhere says the handles aren't available and are on back order with no delivery date!!!
Had the door panel off to sort out excessive wind noise (glass didn't go all the way into the seal) but I can't for the life of me see how on earth you get to the door handle fixings with all that metalwork in the way :@(
Any ideas chaps?
Gary

AO Member

Sherburn Motors in Leeds have plenty! Got mine from there and was cheaper than most of the other scrappers.

You have to fight it and slice your arm open a few times, use the inspection holes to get access and if you get angry easy be prepared to blow your top! Horrible job mine was.
moto

Thanks for the advice! Will give them a ring to see what they've got!
Gary

County: Cambridgeshire
Have you tried Autoworld in chesterfield ? They said that the door handles where a stocked item when I replaced mine (both broke within a couple of months of each other) and they had them in stock both times.

As for getting at the nut inside the door, it is a real PITA, but with you palm against the inside of the door and the window fully up (if you flick the door catch it will think the door is closed and raise the window that 5mm more), run your arm up the door skin and you will feel the nut, I used a ratchet ring spanner to hook over it and loosen (good news is it only needs about half a turn before you can whined it off by hand. Be prepared to look like a serious self harmer afterwards with the cuts and marks on your arms, those edges are dam sharp.
Club Member

County: West Midlands
When mine went in on Thursday last week (28/7) apparently the problem is lack of lubrication. Because both parts are castings they corrode and make the joint stiff, eventually so stiff that it cannot move, so the next weakest part snaps, which is the casting itself. Alfa never thought there would be a problem and so the original quantity of hinges made has dried up - hence no stock. Alfa have commissioned new hinges but this will take time. To the poster who made a part out of aluminium, make sure you lubricate the joint: as with alloy wheels corroding to the hub once corroded there, you'll never shift it.

Apparently also there have been enterprising souls who have tried to copy the castings but to no avail - it's very difficult to make the hinge durable.

146 1.6TS, 156 2.0TS, 156 1.8TS, 147 1.6TS, 147 2.0TS, 159 1.9JTS, 147 1.6TS, 159 1.9JTDm, Mito 1.4, GT, Giulietta 2.0JTDm, Giulietta 1.4tb, Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Giulietta Cloverleaf........
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto View Post
HELP! Had my GT for a month and knew the door handle was stiff when opening and wouldn't spring back but now it's failed altogether :@(
Everywhere says the handles aren't available and are on back order with no delivery date!!!
Had the door panel off to sort out excessive wind noise (glass didn't go all the way into the seal) but I can't for the life of me see how on earth you get to the door handle fixings with all that metalwork in the way :@(
Any ideas chaps?
Gary
as i said above get a hadle off a 147 on ebay just for the hinge! find someone who is braking one and ask for the handle for the side u need
i paid 15 quid delivered for complete handle but only used the hinge,,,,,,,on page one of this thread is how to do it..........quite a job ! but needs to be done

Gary
AO Member

County: Essex
Thats alot of steps!!

Not Happy

My drivers door handle broke last week, having recently purchased my GT I contacted my dealer who told me nonchalantly that this was a common problem with some Alfas and that it wasn't covered in my warranty, but they did supply a replacement as a good will gesture so I could get some else to fit it, surely a true good will gesture would be to fit it as well (thanks Stratstone Liecester). How much will this cost as fear fitting it myself as am no amateur mechanic.
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire
so are they back in stock at the delaers now as i was told there where non available.
AO Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiaautoparts View Post
so are they back in stock at the delaers now as i was told there where non available.
I'd imagine you are still get them - especially considering they are identical to the handles on the new Fiat 500. I noticed that when the Alfa and the 500 are parked next to each other on our driveway
AO Member

Just about to replace my broken door handle with a new one - £78 from main dealer. Was thinking I should replace the plastic caps as well rather than try to prise them out with a screw driver and destroy the trim I will drill and pull them. Is there anywhere online I can order these?
Club Member

County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by alza2000 View Post
Just about to replace my broken door handle with a new one - £78 from main dealer. Was thinking I should replace the plastic caps as well rather than try to prise them out with a screw driver and destroy the trim I will drill and pull them. Is there anywhere online I can order these?
Drill & pull

I think new ones are about 3 quid or so, you could try Autolusso's new parts dept, I know we used to keep these in stock a while back when trim swaps were very popular. 01582 869 560
AO Member

Well door handle replaced - how anyone managed to do this without taking the glass out is beyond me! you must be double jointed with x-ray vision!

I would say in addition to pubsingers excellent set of steps, that there is a black plastic guide the locates the connecting rod from the internal door release to the lock. Remove the guide (3 x Phillips screws and a clip over the rod). It allows loads more access for your arm. Then with the glass out if you look from the rear edge of the door in you can easily see the nut on the door handle, also easy to reach down and push of the cradle clips on the rods - I used a long screw driver to push these off.

Also when refitting glass I noticed it was quite easy to see exactly where the nuts and bolts that securing were previously located so aligning it again was easy. When first reinserted the studs through glass naturally sits at the bottom of the adjustment slots, but a quick glance showed that mine should sit pretty much at the top of the back one.

Thanks for the instructions!
AO Member

County: West Sussex
Just done mine. The easiest way to do this job is to release the window. Its got one bolt at the front and 2 at the rear. Then it just lifts out and makes the job easy.

Seriously, the window takes about 90 seconds to remove, or you can struggle like F for half an hour to reach the door handle front fixing. Once both fixings (the one in the door shut behind the weather shield) have been removed, you unclip the rod that operates the catch then slide the entire handle to the front of the car with the handle pulled in the open position and she just wiggles out.

Pretty easy job really.
AO Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by alza2000 View Post
alza (or anyone else), who did you get it for £78 from, and did that include VAT? Desira in London want £120, an indie i asked wanted £110 (inc vat).
I'm tempted to get one on ebay but obviously there's the risk of a 2nd hand one being on its way out too.

I bought those plastic caps from a main dealer, ready to change the speakers, cheap enough through them.
AO Member

County: West Sussex
If your front hinge has broken, buy the cheapest handle they do for circa £60 (2007 on Alfa GT passenger side) then swap the hinges only over.

TBH, you could take it to an engineering firm, get them to make you 100 for say £500 and sell them on Ebay for £20 each and make an absolute killing.
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conaero View Post
If your front hinge has broken, buy the cheapest handle they do for circa £60 (2007 on Alfa GT passenger side) then swap the hinges only over.

TBH, you could take it to an engineering firm, get them to make you 100 for say £500 and sell them on Ebay for £20 each and make an absolute killing.
It's been tried. It is extremely difficult to get something so small to be tough and durable enough. Whatever you do, make sure the new hinge is well lubricated before you reassemble otherwise you'll be doing the same job again in a few months time. Its the two halves of the hinge that corrode together and then snap.

County: Buckinghamshire
GT Door Handles breaking off!

Having now owned my GT for some 18 months, and I am on my third door handle (2 drivers and 1 passenger side). Every time I go to open the door I now expect the worst, and I assure you, I am no clumsy arm wrestling champ..Why are they so flimsy, has Alfa never considered redesigning them? It has let down a beautiful car, and which may soon be parted with because of it.

County: Cork
Garage
I decided to try a repair on my broken hinge just before Christmas as I'd rather not have to go removing trim if at all avoidable

The usual problem, pin & hinge had ceased causing the hinge to break. I drilled a 2mm hole into where the recess would be in the hinge while the hinge was still ceased ( carefull you don't go too deep, I went slightly into the pin ), then I heated the hinge & got it moving. I then inserted a piece of a tack into the hole so the hinge on the door handle would have something to bond to.

resized_00001 pin1.jpg resized_00002 pin2.jpg

I removed the hinge from the door handle & roughened up the inside of it where it'd be in contact with the pin, I also drilled 2 holes in it to increase the changes of the J-B Weld holding.

hinge holes.JPG

I glued a small piece of wood as a spacer just under where the end of the tack sits so it would sit in the correct position & not in too far & then I covered this & the rest of the inside of the hinge bracket on the door with masking tape so that the J-B weld couldn't bond to any metal.

timber pin.JPG timber pin mask.JPG

Then I heated the hinge from the door handle slightly before applying the J-B Weld, reattached it the the inside of the handle with the screw, applied some J-B Weld around the pin on the door, pushed the handle into place & held the handle in place until the next day with masking tape.

resized_00001 J B.jpg

More than a week later it's still in one piece & hopefully it'll last

Update :

It broke again two weeks ago.

The tack had remained bonded to the part of the hinge screwed to the handle but instead had pulled out of the hole I drilled in the part attached to the door ( probably mostly my fault as I pulled the handle out more from the front than the back without thinking )

Also I noticed the hinge has ceased again & was rusty so I put some grease on it after freeing it up ( not much space to do this without contaminating the area to be bonded ), hopefully it'll last longer this time.

Last edited by David P; 04-02-12 at 10:24. Reason: Update & more pics
AO Member

County: Dorset
Hi, I have just swapped mine over, but before putting everything back in have been checking if the lock works.

The handle works fine and opens the door, but If I try to lock it, with the key, it wont turn in the barrel very far, and if I try to lock it with the key fob, it makes it's beeps then you hear it try to lock and instantly unlock all doors again. Then there is a third beep which I guess is the alarm set.

any ideas what is wrong? Cheers.
AO Member

County: Dorset
Turns out the rod that comes with the door handle (new from Alfa workshop) is a slightly different length and shape to the one that is fitted. Once I had swapped the rods over the locks are all working again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
broke , door , exterior , handle