exterior door handle broke :( - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes

AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf SE

Front hinge broke on my 2010 GT drivers side. Purchased the replacement part from Autolusso £17. Removed door card then pulled handle out as far as it would go ,removed screw with ratchet screwdriver. Released internal nut ( bit of a pain ).
Then fitted new hinge. I did not remove the window, all done in an hour.
I did break the popper though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Northumberland

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

Quick one better starting with the window open or closed? Closed I guess would make it easier to remove ?
AO Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDix View Post
Quick one better starting with the window open or closed? Closed I guess would make it easier to remove ?
Closed is the way to start.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
mine just gone too...

shoddy ...very shoddy, I knew about this problem so have been extra careful..

it can go on my list of admittedly small niggles to take care of..ordered the hinge from AL, hopefully its not too much of a faff.
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

From ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1114430881...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And the excellent how to guide from here. Be carful removing the broken hinge . Managed to break the other end unscrewing in . Now glued but holding after 2 months!
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
ok, just done it.......

its a faff.

i'm a bit traumatized after that. I have just done the cam-belt on a fiat coupe, would rather do that again than go anywhere near a GT door handle!

the door lock actuator rods are a *****...its like wall papering a hallway through a letter box.

satisfying to have done it though...and like these types of jobs will probably take an hour if I have to do it again...passenger side would be much easier as there is no lock to contend with.

will most likely take it to AL Bournmouth next time
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Passenger front handle hinge broke on my wife's 147 facelift and I read this thread then thought "OMG" not looking forward to this.

Bought the "teenie weenie" Fiat 500 hinge from my Alfa / Fiat dealer round the corner for £15'ish and fitted it in about 1.5 hrs taking my time. You don't need to take the handle off it is really quite straight forward. Just make sure you protect the paint when removing / fitting the screw into the handle.

I am guessing they changed the handle screw to be angled on later versions to reduce the service time of changing hinges / handle in warranty.

Don't be scared, it really is easy. Just remember once your hinge is broken stop using it so you don't break the handle.

If you just change the hinge no need to touch the popper thingy wotsit.

This is actually a cheap easy fix which I like just waiting for the next one to fail now.

BM

County: Warwickshire
Just wanted to say thanks to PubSinger and all those who have posted instructions, very helpful.
I bought the handle from Partsworld-UK on eBay for £55, delivered next day.
Managed to replace the whole driver's handle without removing the window although it was a bit more time consuming, nipped the nut and then was able to undo it with fingers, the reverse for replacing but used a bit of blutack on a ring spanner to start it off, took around 2 hours.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzy1970 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to PubSinger and all those who have posted instructions, very helpful.
I bought the handle from Partsworld-UK on eBay for £55, delivered next day.
Managed to replace the whole driver's handle without removing the window although it was a bit more time consuming, nipped the nut and then was able to undo it with fingers, the reverse for replacing but used a bit of blutack on a ring spanner to start it off, took around 2 hours.
Removing the glass is actually very easy, and well worth the effort for the access it gives. Once you raise the glass and can see the retaining nuts through the holes the metal frame, just loosen them off, lower the glass a little and lift it out. Don't tighten fully on refit until you've checked the fit of the glass against the top rubber when the door is closed. This is fiddly on the GT as the glass drops a little when the door opens, so you must close it, and with the glass fully raised grip it with a sucker or have someone the other side, push the glass firmly into the roof rubber seal recess, tighten the nuts, then open the door (the glass drops a cm) then close and check that the glass raises correctly into the rubber recess

County: Taranaki

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Wave Door Handle replacement

Hi All ,
I've an Alfa Romeo GT V6 2004 which is so full of delight and magical moments to drive YET
at present its merely a delight to look at being garage bound in many pieces !!
Ideals of perfection are indeed folly yet I persist in my quest .... and so now to Door Handles.

Can anyone verify if the later door handle assembly (2006 and later) will fit the early GT ?

All I can gather is that the replacement hinges aren't compatible.

Cheers
John
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

from e bay

From ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1114430881...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Way stronger than the original . Pain to fix broke the plastic other end removing the broken section luckily managed to glue it . Probably better taking the whole thing off?

Follow the instructions here and treat your self to a ratchet spanner your going to need it
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonswimma View Post
Hi All ,
I've an Alfa Romeo GT V6 2004 which is so full of delight and magical moments to drive YET
at present its merely a delight to look at being garage bound in many pieces !!
Ideals of perfection are indeed folly yet I persist in my quest .... and so now to Door Handles.

Can anyone verify if the later door handle assembly (2006 and later) will fit the early GT ?

All I can gather is that the replacement hinges aren't compatible.

Cheers
John
Pre 2006, the screw into the handle went straight in at right angles to the handle, 2006 on, the screw goes in at 45' angle. This makes it possible to remove and attach the hinge to the handle without removing the handle from the door, using a stubby philips head at an angle and pulling the handle out carefully away from the door, having first removed the nut from the other half of the hinge inside the door frame.
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezel View Post
Pre 2006, the screw into the handle went straight in at right angles to the handle, 2006 on, the screw goes in at 45' angle. This makes it possible to remove and attach the hinge to the handle without removing the handle from the door, using a stubby philips head at an angle and pulling the handle out carefully away from the door, having first removed the nut from the other half of the hinge inside the door frame.
Indeed, however the question was whether a later whole handle assembly will fit an early car. Can't seen any reason why they wouldn't fit however I think the finish on the handles changed from satin to chrome...or is it the other was round?

Mine's a 2006 with the angled hinge screw, however I wouldn't like to say whether my finish is satin or chrome.

All the best

Pub
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubsinger View Post
Indeed, however the question was whether a later whole handle assembly will fit an early car. Can't seen any reason why they wouldn't fit however I think the finish on the handles changed from satin to chrome...or is it the other was round?

Mine's a 2006 with the angled hinge screw, however I wouldn't like to say whether my finish is satin or chrome.

All the best

Pub
I had to replace a handle long before I done the hinges when I pulled too hard one really icy morning, and broke the curved plastic bit that goes through into the door. I got a perfect handle with broken hinge from the breakers for nothing, as back then handle and hinge were sold as one part, so it was not saleable, but my old hinge was intact. The finish is slightly different, my 2006 GT has a satin look, the spare handle from an older 147 had a more chromey look, but you'd never notice, and I left the original fixed part with the lock in the door as I didn't want the messing of swapping the barrels, so you can see the slight difference. As they both had the angled screw, I reused the old hinge, so the repair cost me only time.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Was polishing my 2006 GT the other day and noticed the passenger side handle was raised more than it should be at the front. Seems it is a bit loose and no amount of lube seems to make the handle work nicely like the drivers so looking like a replacement soon. Crappy check strap needs doing as well so at least I can kill two in one job!

One thing to add. In looking it over I noticed something I never realised when I bought it. The handle on the passenger side has a slot for a key. Of course it doesn't work. The OCD in me says replace the whole handle with the 'proper' one but the wallet says just get the hinge. I reckon OCD will win though...
AO Member

County: Greater London
hhmmmm

so its smy turn for facelift 147 door handle to break, passenger side.
Reading this thread I have to ask one question first -
my handle seems only to have come away on the front hinge, the part that pivots, not the rear mechanism part. Is that the usual thing that breaks? I can't quite understand if this thread is for a broken whole assembly of the handle, which mine is not...
Basically I'm just checking one last thing before I resign myself to getting out the tool kit and faffing around out on the street trying to fix it.
Can I glue or fix the hinge part in situ?
Or is any problem with door handle assembly only fixable if you remove the door cards and get in from the back, etc

Thanks for any help!
AO Member

Member car:

Wave Easy Fix Alfa 147 Door Handle Hinge

My Front door handle hinge had broken.
After looking at some threads on this forum It looked like a complicated job.
But I found a YouTube video which made it a very simple job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuLDMqSCmqc

The only thing I changed was using a screw driver to remove and refit the self-tapping screw.
I used a miniature ratchet and screw driver bit.
This just gave me more room to work.
Only took an hour to replace.
I hope this could help other people.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseypeach View Post
so its smy turn for facelift 147 door handle to break, passenger side.
Reading this thread I have to ask one question first -
my handle seems only to have come away on the front hinge, the part that pivots, not the rear mechanism part. Is that the usual thing that breaks? I can't quite understand if this thread is for a broken whole assembly of the handle, which mine is not...
Basically I'm just checking one last thing before I resign myself to getting out the tool kit and faffing around out on the street trying to fix it.
Can I glue or fix the hinge part in situ?
Or is any problem with door handle assembly only fixable if you remove the door cards and get in from the back, etc

Thanks for any help!
This thread started prior to the hinge being available as a spare, if you read my guide on the first page all is explained.

All the best

Pub
AO Member

Member car:

If all you need to do is change the hinge.
Hinge off of EBay is around £7.00 for a good one.

The only thing I changed was using a screw driver to remove and refit the self-tapping screw.
Only took an hour to replace max.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgone View Post
If all you need to do is change the hinge.
Hinge off of EBay is around £7.00 for a good one.

Only took an hour to replace max.
Fine for the 147, but you won't access the GT handle nut from the inside as easy without removing the glass

County: Auckland
I have a post repair/maintenance question, to those that have done the job themselves. What do you guys or have you guys used to lubricate the hinge when fitting or once on the car to help prevent the hinge breaking In the future? Specifically what products would you recommend? Cheers
AO Member

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

I smeared some water resistant grease all over it when I changed it. I also recommend a good dose of silicone or some other lubricant on a regular basis
AO Member

Pud, I've attempted and failed to replace the hinge on mine. I was able to get the door card of etc. but was stuck at getting the window off, I've read it's just three screws to get the window out but they're a lot of screws on a door with no card. Pictires ifbpossosnke please.
Another question how high does my window need to be fully up or halfway. I also noted that when you take the window switch out disconnect you have to close the door before the switch works again and you can move the window up or down.
AO Silver Member

IIRC (for the GT anyway) the window has to be fully up to get at the window fixings. They're visible through holes (about the size of a 10p coin) in the inner door skin, you'll need a 10mm socket either long enough or on an extension to get at them.

As for the window switch it's not unheard of for the battery to need disconnecting to get them working again.

Good luck

Pub
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickco View Post
Front hinge broke on my 2010 GT drivers side. Purchased the replacement part from Autolusso £17. Removed door card then pulled handle out as far as it would go ,removed screw with ratchet screwdriver. Released internal nut ( bit of a pain ).
Then fitted new hinge. I did not remove the window, all done in an hour.
I did break the popper though.
How did you fix it without removing the window? you need snake arms ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
broke , door , exterior , handle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page