exterior door handle broke :( - Page 10 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes

AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Its not just us that suffer chocolate door hinges
I've heard they are quite prone to breaking on BMWs E46 3 Series also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrens_here View Post
Then when trying to open the door with just the platsic bt connected, guess what.... yeap, that broke aswell.

Ive read a little on hear about changing the hinge, and see these are available, what about the black plastic thing
Sorry to say whole new/replacement handle assembly needed.

Pub
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrens_here View Post
Hi All.

Just had the dreaded handle breakage. The metal hinge broke first of all, it got jammed in the cold and i gave it a pull.... my bad.

Then when trying to open the door with just the platsic bt connected, guess what.... yeap, that broke aswell.

Ive read a little on hear about changing the hinge, and see these are available, what about the black plastic thing (shown at other end of the handle in this borrowed pic NOT circled)
Thats how I done my drivers door all those years ago, door stuck with frost, pulled the handle clean off and broke the plastic loop. The hinge was ok , so I got a handle (hingeless) from the breakers. I still have the old handle, I glued the broken plastic bit back on with araldite, kept it as a spare , i've never used it in the door, but it seems very solid. You'll find the broken bit in the well of the door, the lock has to come out to replace the handle, if you glue it and it breaks again you'll have to redo the work.

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
Replaced my second broken driver's side hinge on Friday. Tried my hardest not to remove the glass but gave up after much swearing.

Thanks again to Pubsinger for invaluable guide.

County: Cork
Garage
Out of interest was the hinge that broke one of the new replacement parts or from an old handle ?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Out of interest was the hinge that broke one of the new replacement parts or from an old handle ?
I bought a complete handle and took the hinge off it.

I've just ordered another Fiat 500 hinge which I'll fit to my new handle and sell on eBay.
AO Member

Member car:

focus

I bought a complete unit off ebay, and dropped into my locla garage to have it sorted (needed a exhaust aswell) so saved me the hassle and all done... lol
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Mines just broke on the wife, it's the drivers side which I was peed off about as the passenger side has always felt loose so I knew I'd have to replace that soon enough, but the drivers side has always felt solid.

Anyway, mines a 55 plate, have I read right that the fiat 500 hinge will not fit my metal handle?
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Dseira on ebay do a repair kit for pre 2006 gt's, it's 17.49 delivered compared to 11.49 for post 2006 with the 45 degree angle screw.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-147-G...item19feb38d5a
AO Member

Member car:

147 Selespeed

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Just completed this, so once again a big thanks to pubslinger for the great guide

The popper broke on the rear on the rear of the door card as expected and I couldn't for the life of me disconnect the two rods to free the handle, so I was forced to use a screw bit and some mole grips to disconnect the faulty hinge from the handle, instead of the easier way of taking the handle completely off. I did protect the door as much as I could and got away with it....just.

The biggest pain in the arse? Getting the bloody trim surrounding the interior handle to sit right. It still doesn't so god knows what i've done, I just can't get the end opposite the tweeter to lye flat. Has anyone else had this problem when removing it? I think I may end up ordering a new part

It look me a good 3 hours due messing about with the handle but I reckon I can half that easily when I do the passenger side. Oh and it's a good job I've got my 9 year old to fish spanners and bolts from the bottom of the door when trying to remove the bolt and replace the bolt from the hinge inside the door. She also had to place the bolt on the new hinge as I couldn't get my arm up there properly despite removing the window

3.2GT V6 - Gabbiano Blue - Jetfins - M-Tec Shortshifter - Wizard Cat Back - Rest standard
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

It's easy to remove and replace the broken hinge without removing the handle, just pull the handle as if opening the door out as far as it will go, wedge it with a bit of wood. There should be enough play at the broken hinge end to reach in with a stubby (two inch) philips head, or one of the cranked type screwdrivers, to remove the angled screw and replace the hinge. Fold the hinge shut and push the threaded shaft through the door. Stick a bit of Duct tap on the paintwork if your'e worried about scratches. When you've removed the glass, reconnect the window switch and lower the window cradle for better access to the inside nut. The ill fit of the card up at the interior handle/tweeter could be due to a popper not mating with the door frame, it helps to study the interior of the card and establish what shapes fit in what crevices. a popper or a trapped speaker cable can cause the card not to sit back right.
AO Member

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

Just read all 10 pages but what I still dont know.. Is it possible to replace just the pin on preFL handles with the pin from the fiat 500 hinge?

Garage
This is the post you need to see http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post3379852 (exterior door handle broke :()
(the link for the part you need no longer goes to the correct part)

You can't change the pin, you need to change the complete hinge part number 51939041A Alfa 147 GT pre 2006 Chrome Outer Door Handle Hinge Repair Kit OS NS

pre fl 147 door repair hinge part number 51939041A.jpg

pre fl 147 door repair hinge part number 51939041A.jpg

Here's the previous listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-147-G...397&rmvSB=true but they seem to be sold out, I did a quick search & couldn't find any others listed, perhaps try your local Alfa or Fiat parts department to see if they can help.

Last edited by David P; 29-05-15 at 21:19.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post

That's for the later cars with the screw at an angle, see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso part listing
So long as your car is the later type, with the angled screw in the hinge, this kit will fit. Please check before ordering
AO Member

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

I see. What if I fit a newer handle in case this happens again? It probably should fit?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
That's for the later cars with the screw at an angle, see below:
Good point didn't think of that as I have a later car and got mine from there.

Binji later handle won't fit earlier car as the fitting is different.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Good point didn't think of that as I have a later car and got mine from there.

Binji later handle won't fit earlier car as the fitting is different.
You can do it, but you need to change the rods as well.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binji View Post
Just read all 10 pages but what I still dont know.. Is it possible to replace just the pin on preFL handles with the pin from the fiat 500 hinge?
See my post above with the ebay link. That's the bit you need for pre facelift.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTD

Photos and a bit more info

Have recently replaced my passengers side door handle following the invaluable guide on here. I thought a few photos may help so here are a few in a PDF. Its not a complete guide but hopefully will help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GTDoorHandle.pdf (185.6 KB, 43 views)
AO Platinum Member

I have a brand new door handle and hinge for sale if anyone is interested;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-new-.../151707988510?
AO Member

Member car:

Octavia vRS

Well, my door handle hinge finally broke. Got it replaced in about 3 hours thanks to this thread. Hands and arms scratched to hell but at least I can open my door again. Popper on the back top of the door is broken just like everyone elses is but will get that sorted.

Thanks Pubsinger
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMackey View Post
Well, my door handle hinge finally broke. Got it replaced in about 3 hours thanks to this thread. Hands and arms scratched to hell but at least I can open my door again. Popper on the back top of the door is broken just like everyone elses is but will get that sorted.

Thanks Pubsinger
My popper broke, I just glued the top on.

147 fl

Thanks to everyone especially pubslinger for the step by step.

My hinge sheared off on the driver side of facelift 147. It took me just over an hour and a half to swap out the hinge with a new fiat 500 hinge from the dealer (~9).

I followed steps 1-6, 9-13 then steps 18, 21, 22 and 24 to get the handle loose enough to replace the hinge with the handle still on the car (without removing window or any seals etc.). To do that I used a flexi on the screw bit and an assistant to hold the handle out and managed not to scratch the door .

Gutted that I followed step 8 and broke the popper, although it wasn't needed if following above cheat's method. Picked up a glue gun and that was great for reaffixing the foam, also waiting for my spare blanks to come in as the self tapping screw worked a treat on this.

Now going to pick up some decent grease as the old hinge was seized up bad so no wonder it broke.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
broke , door , exterior , handle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page