Disaster strikes - broken fuel sensor! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 16-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
Boxing Disaster strikes - broken fuel sensor!

I've gone and done it now.

Thought I'd change the fuel filter today on my GT. Easy enough to access and to get off from the back of the engine bay.

As I was screwing on the new fuel filter onto the sensor that detects whether there is water in the diesel, the blasted plastic screw thread snapped off! Grrrrrrr!!!!!!! The thing hadn't been changed with the last service I paid for (like the pollen filter and possibly the air filter too).

Does anyone know whether it is possible to run the car without the sensor attached? The new fuel filter comes with a plastic cap where the sensor goes, so I suspect I can just screw that back on? I wont be able to get a new sensor and plastic housing until next Tuesday otherwise and I guess that if I even turn the ignition to the first position, I will end up with diesel flooding my engine bay with the filter off.

Help please!!!

Alfa Romeo GT Cloverleaf Q2 170bhp
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon TI Q4 210bhp
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Dunno if the shipping plug will be watertight (or dieseltight)... If it is, it should be ok to run it until you fix it.

Is there a drain at the bottom of the filter housing to drain off water that collects? If so, just bleed any water off...there can't be that much water in fuel...can there?
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 16-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks for your reply.

Right, I have temporarily placed the old fuel filter back on with the rubber washer on the bottom with the shipping plug over that. Having started the car, it seems to be diesel tight for the time being. At least, I can't see any diesel coming out and dripping down through the engine bay. Have ordered replacement sensor and housing at a cost of £32+ VAT.

This has not been a good day. Time to change the air filter and oil/filter change now...wish me well!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

broken , disaster , fuel , sensor , strikes