156 24 JTD Veloce Sportwagon - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-04-10 Thread Starter
County: -
156 24 JTD Veloce Sportwagon

I own an '03 156 2.4 jtd Veloce Sportwagon with 130,000 miles.

It is beginning to show its age and I am constantly replacing parts on it. I have replaced timing belt, turbo, clutch, suspensioin (although I think this needs replaced again), new battery, alternator but most recent problem is brakes. There is a knocking noise coming from front brakes - my garage thinks this is because a clip is missing from one of the calipers which we have ordered up. Does anyone know if this will fix it?

Also, if anyone was interested in the car I would consider selling it for a reasonable price. The car is silver w black leather and in reasonable condition given the mileage.

Can be viewed in Portrush, Northern Ireland.

Last edited by Rain3y; 15-04-10 at 15:32.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire
Sounds like you've replaced just about everything that'll need doing before you hit 200K and the clutch goes again, so why not keep the beast going?
I'm pretty much in the same situation - almost everything replaced bar the turbo, rear suspension and various sub-assemblies such as the alternator (yet). Did a quick calculation, given the market prices, and resulted that the car would've costed me about 500 EUR/month in my eight months of ownership if I got rid of it now (assuming I got a good resale price). So I decided to stick with it for a while, to recover some of the costs.
AO Member
County: Shropshire
I'm in a similar position with mine (2000 model, 128K miles), done so far this year: cam belt, rear brakes, alternator, battery, aux belt tensioner (second time in 10K miles, old alternator took out the previous one). Still need to do; Radiator, clutch, windscreen rust, possibly shocks as well. Already spent more than the car's value this year and likely to hit in excess of 4K before the year is out. However, If I bought an 08 plate 159 I'd lose more than 4K in depreciation and I'd still have to cover the servicing costs. To be fair, most 8+ year old cars with over 100K on the clock would be eating parts like cats eat tuna, I've similar nightmares with my old Saab 9000's when I was only doing 10K miles a year. So I may as well keep running this car until the gearbox lets go or it fails an MOT due to tinworm.

It does get you down, but I keep thinking, "better the devil I know". I could chop it in for a 03/04 plate car with lower miles, but chances are the previous owner will have offloaded that because big bills were imminent.

156 2.4 JTD 10v Veloce with Angel Tune (180bhp)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , jtd , sportwagon , veloce