This is my first time ever replying to a thread, but i must say you guys are epic! I would like to say thank God that he made sites like these otherwise owning an Alfa would be a bit difficult.
Im from SA and just on saturday my parents took my baby to natal(another province in SA) about 250Km away from where i live, the air filter cover broke while they were on their way and the car suddendly lost power and was struggling
once i got the phone call i immediatly reverted to coming to this site as i knew i'd find the problem and i came to the conclusion it was air fuel related as the car was smoking heavily, on their return last night i found it was the air box and rectified it with a couple holes and cable ties for a temporary fix, but the car was then only boosting at high rev's at about 2500r/min sometimes even 3000r/min, i then came back to this site and found out that it could be my EGR valve thats playing up, so i downloaded this manual even though all the illustrations are for a 1.9JTD 16V and my baby is a 1.9JTD 8V...... There is hardly a difference except the square is circular and is found in the same location, it was a bit of a mission getting it off but eventually it was out
i found that the solinoid was moving freely except there was allot of carbon in the plunger section..... i used allot of carburetor cleaner and took a bit of time to make it as clean as i possibly can along with the gaskets and spacers, once complete i reassembled it and put in back into the car, i must say im a usual DIY guy and it was quite tricky, but i knew with a bit of persistance i would get it in again, i started it up and immediately i noticed the difference in the idle, with a bit of caution i picked up speed and could already notice the improvement in the pick up, after noticing she was back to her usual self i took her on a bit of a stretch and she never felt better
I must say you guys are simply fantastic and thank you to the poster, as if it was not for you i would have coughed out a cool R2500 or nearly 180 pounds for a new EGR instead i spent a total of R30 or 2 pounds and a bit of effort, thanks again guys