2.0 TS stuck in limp mode. HELP... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 13-04-10 Thread Starter
County: Kent

Member car:

Alfa Romeo

Madness 2.0 TS stuck in limp mode. HELP...

I recently bought a 2.0TS 156 from a dealer with no service history, and am looking to reform it to its former glory (I love my car to bits, just wish it had been looked after). Anyways, my dad decided to fit a stupid cheap cone filter on it, and I presume that the oil has gone through the MAF and messed that up. This has resulted in my having all the usual problems where I have no power after 3500fpm. Tried a few replacements, but when I install them, the idle is very erratic (these are unipart alternatives) and causes it to stall, but power after 3500 is restored. The old MAF idles fine, but in limp mode. I've heard that I need to reset my ECU and throttle body after fitting, but is this how a new MAF should make my engine act before an ECU reset? I'm asking because I believe my thermostat has gone (stays at about 70 whilst driving on motorway, and fuel consumption on the run of 27-29mpg), and the guy at the unipart garage has a 147, and he said that an ECU reset relies on the fan cutting in twice, which on a working thermostat would be fine within a 15 minute run of the engine. Is this why its not taking to the new MAF?

I also need a cambelt change and a new variator, but am desperately waiting for some cash. With the miles I travel, saving for cash would be no problem if my fuel consumption improved.

Thanks for any help, and sorry if I am posting the same as so many others, its just mine seems to never work, and I want my power back
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Lancashire
erm if your fitting crappy pattern mafs, and your getting your power back, get a bosch maf, more expensive but they work at least.

also just unplug the maf, if your getting the same result, rough idle but the power is back, then the mafs are dodgy (no suprise). i got too for my stilo ages ago and neither of them worked. very hit and miss, usually miss, and the ones that do work, fail in a few weeks as a rule. not worth the effort.

unless you got them really cheap, you have probbably paid the same as one bosch unit.

oh and your stat is dead. and the guy you spoke too sounds like he knows sweet f.a

still doesnt make financial sence.

At the big scrapyard in the sky:
Mk2 Punto Active Sport 1.2 8vStilo Schumacher GP147 1.6 TS LussoMk1 Punto Sporting 1.2 16v156 1.8 TS Lusso

On the 8th day God created BMW, on the 9th day, he traded it in for an Alfa Romeo :evillaugh:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

limp , mode , stuck