Selespeed "crashing" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

156 GTA & 156 Ti

Selespeed "crashing"

This is a recurring issue for me that I hope to solve once and for all soon
Every time that I go from 2gear to reverse, the Selespeed gets stuck in neutral.

It typically happens like this: I come to a stop, and select reverse, but if I do that too soon (while car is still in 2nd) the gear indicator flashes, and the gearbox wont change gear.

the only remedy is to turn the car off, open and close door, lock doors, unlock doors, open and close door, and hope for it to work again.

Today, the inverse happened, I tried to select first FROM reverse, and the gearbox stopped responding. This time however, i could not turn the engine on.
I tried the above routine for ten minutes, before asking two blokes for help so we could push the car into a booth. two hours later, I start the car and there is no problem.

What is wrong ? what can / should be done ?
It has been at the mechanic twice now.

2003 156 GTA Selespeed - Alfa Rosso + black multispokes, Eibach anti rollbars, Quaife ATB diff, 330mm brakes, Bilstein B12, De-cat wrapped manifolds + EQ downpipes + Ragazzon silencer, CDA intake, (carefully) removed interior & Sparco bucket seats + 6 point harness
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

First question - when you come to a stop, does the Selespeed change into 1st just as you roll to a halt at walking pace? From what you are saying, I gather it doesn't get into 1st and stays in 2nd instead, or manages to get 1st only after several seconds while stopped.

There should never be any need to change from 2nd into reverse. Reverse should only be selected when the car is stopped, by which time the Selespeed should have changed into 1st.

So if it isn't getting into 1st when stopping (but other gears are working fine - are they?), I think it sounds like a mechanical gearbox fault, i.e. a stuffed first gear synchro or perhaps a broken selector rod mounting. When you say "crashing", I wonder if you mean a grating/crunching noise, or whether you suspect a software problem when it stops responding.

Of course, if some other gears are being skipped/not engaging, then there could be a Selespeed fault (such as a speed sensor or gear selector position sensor) Have it checked on a diagnostics machine (or use Alfadiag software) - try an EOL recalibrate - an easy procedure. But if that makes no difference, I'd be wary of spending money replacing Selespeed parts when it could be a 'conventional' mechanical gearbox fault instead. The Selespeed computer keeps a record of 'failed insertions' (failed gear selections) which could be useful to know in this case.

If there are failed insertions or abnormal noises, I think the gearbox should be removed, then taken apart and overhauled by someone who knows what they're looking at. You don't mention the number of kms on the clock, but if over, say, 150,000, it would be a good opportunity to replace the clutch and release bearing while the gearbox is off.

Perhaps forget it's a Selespeed for a moment and pretend it's a standard manual transmission; first-gear synchro gets a hard time if the driver often selects first while moving, and if there is that driving style in use, you would expect first-gear synchro to wear out first on a manual transmission. And if the driver always sits with their foot on the clutch pedal, you would expect to replace the clutch release bearing too. Selespeed 'masks' these mechanical unsympathies from even a well-meaning driver - selecting 1st is only a button-click away - so perhaps the gearbox has suffered a harder life than a conventional manual transmission would have?

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Last edited by alexGS; 09-04-10 at 14:10.
AO Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 Selespeed

Get your battery tested. If the battery is on it's last legs it can cause the Selespeed system to misbehave. Mostly suggested in the vein of test the cheap/easy stuff first, but if locking and unlocking the doors fixes it temporarily and the car refused to start for a couple of hours, it sniffs to me of an electrical problem.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 10-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

156 GTA & 156 Ti

Hi thanks for your replies!

Well, the "crashing" is the software usage of the word.
There are no sounds from the gearbox.

The car does change from 2nd to 1st very slowly. It stays in 2nd even at a walking pace.
I have no problems with other gears.

The car has done about 101000 miles, and has not had a clutch replacement, so this might be worth thinking about. I drive a lot in traffic, so it does spend a considerable time in first gear during all the Dublin traffic jams.

I do not have Alfadiag, but that is on the to-buy list.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

crashing , selespeed