Heater fan, resistor or both? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 05-04-10 Thread Starter
County: Oxfordshire
Heater fan, resistor or both?

Hello All,

I think I might already know the answer to this, but wanted a little advice before I inevitably order the wrong thing! I also know this has been covered extensively but I can't seem to find an exact match for what's happening on my car...

Bought my first Alfa back in January (a facelift model 156 JTD 16v) and so far, so good. However, about 10 days ago I was just about to leave work and the heaviest rain storm I've ever seen started. It was over within 10 minutes though, but when I started driving I could hear running water. I looked over and could see water (and lots of it) swirling around the passenger footwell. I pulled over to check where it was coming from and it turned out to be trickling out of the back of the footwell through a hole in the carpet where it wraps around the bodywork. It stopped as quickly as it started so I mopped out the water when I got home and it hasn't done it again since. I'm hoping the rain was so heavy it just overwhelmed the drainage system, but I'm wondering if some debris has got in there and is blocking something?

Before this though the fan was squeaking intermittently, but has now stopped working altogether. Having read through the forum I've tracked this down to either the fan or the resistor, but the fan hasn't been working on just the 4th speed like you would expect. Then last night I was coming back from a night out and suddenly got a burning smell inside the car. I pulled over and turned everything off, there wasn't any smoke coming from anywhere and then it seemed to stop.

I've taken the fan out this morning, the motor smells exactly like the burning smell from last night and a teaspoon or more of water came out of the unit. While it was still connected I tried it on every speed and on level 4 it managed about half a really jerky revolution before it stopped again.

So, I seem to have a fan that only works on level 4 but doesn't spin freely on that setting and fan motor that smells like it's burnt out but still works (just). Do I buy a new fan unit or a new resistor? I know the parts aren't expensive (Autolusso can sell me a fan for 20 and a resistor for 18) but I don't really want to replace parts that don't need replacing and you can guarantee whichever I buy, it'll be the other!

I need to get the drainage looked at too. I know that a little water ingress into the fan unit isn't unusual, but I seemed to have a flash flood. Any advice on this would be much appreciated too...

Last edited by CharlesN; 06-04-10 at 12:38.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 2 Old 13-04-10 Thread Starter
County: Oxfordshire
Quick update:

Sent an email to the helpful chaps at Autolusso who suggested I try the fan first, then get a resistor if it's still no joy. They also gave me some advice on what caused the flash flood...

So, on Saturday afternoon I removed the skuttle under the windscreen to set about clearing the potentially blocked drainage hole. Turns out not only was the hole blocked with a load of dried up leaves & random bits of crud, the much bigger drainage hole underneath this was also blocked with what was basically compost. I literally couldn't believe that this much stuff could have found it's way in there! A 1.5" hole, completely blocked for about 6" with wet compost. All cleared out now
so fingers crossed everything will remain dry now?!

Fan should arrive today/tomorrow so I'll pop this in & update on the progress.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

fan , heater , resistor , water