Engine out, replace or rebuild? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 04-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tipperary

Member car:

156 Sportwagon

Engine out, replace or rebuild?

Hey all,

I have removed the engine from my 156 SW 1.8 TS following usual big end drama, only have the car 6 weeks, had Alfa history till 61,000k and after that who knows! There is 79,000 on her now, I was told when I bought the car it had a cam belt at its last service and looking at it when the engine is on the floor i think it had, and a tensioner and water pump by the looks of it, I am wondering what to do next, do i rebuild my engine or replace it, I need to replace a conrod too which means head off my own engine and thats going to cost me, gaskets etc etc, I have been told that a crank regrind isn't that successful on a pre 02 model???, I already have a set of standard big ends so am i better to get a replacement engine, put the big ends in that and do the belts, water pump and variator and put that in?
What would you do?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
It really depends how much the new crank and rod are going to cost. That, plus the gaskets etc will soon add up.

On the other hand, any 2nd hand engine you get will be an unknown maintenance-wise, and will need the belts doing anyway.

I'd rebuild it. Rebuilding TS engines is pretty easy and, dare I say it, fun.
County: Wiltshire
To rebuild it your looking at 600 euros, to buy a new one and then rebuild that add another 250, at least with what you have you know it's a crank and rod that's needed, with another mill, it may be the same story as I always open them up and check them out before fitting them.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , rebuild , replace