Firstly thank you to everyone who gave advice when it came to trying to fix what I thought was just the head.
After buying a scrap engine with bottom end failure and getting the head skimmed and then fitting the bugger we had a couple of issues. Started the car up and there was a clunk almost immediately!! The pulley for the cambelt had sheared!!
Take the covers off and find a stupid rubber grommit, that we have no idea where it came from, trapped under one of the cams and the pressure had caused the cog to break. So we changed the pulley and got the timing set back up and yesterday we started her to find.... my big ends had now gone!!
So basically that's it with this car. I'm gonna buy another cheapy I think from ebay, deffo another Alfa and possibly just do some interior swapping. It's a shame but after having this engine apart twice now I can't find it in me to take the engine out and strip it to fix or change the engine block.
Meanwhile, it does now mean I have variety of engine parts available for sale. Coil packs, injector bars, inlet manifolds, exhaust manifolds, a newly reconditioned head and gasket (new). Get rid of those bits and I can spend a bit more on a new one!!