147 reviews, please :) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Drunk 147 reviews, please :)

I'm amazed this hasn't been posted before, but do you lovely 147 owners mind sharing your experiences with a potential owner?

I'm only young (I don't even start driving until 2011), but with such excitement (and excessive spare time), I have already started to consider my first car. Having got some amazingly promising insurance quotes for the 1.6, I'm surprised to say the 147, my favourite hatchback and I would say a proper Alfa at least in style, could be a perfectly viable first car

In the same price range, however, will be the Golf 5 1.4. Weirdly, it's more to insure than the Alfa, slower, less well equipped and from Volkswagen, the manufacturer of boredom. But it's very good, apparently. Thus, if I am to consider the cheaper, more well equipped, faster, prettier, prestigier, and generally betterer Alfa, it has to be at least decent. From your experiences, is it?

The main things for me are comfort, performance, ride/handling, and build quality. Obviously it's an Alfa, so I'm not expecting a Maybach, but decent materials and reliability aren't much to ask for, right?

Thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
County: Denbighshire

Member car:

Hi gibbo, I have owned my 147 for a year now and I absolutely love it! I picked up a 2008 147 jtd sport in black after many years of wanting a 147. Each member on this site will have a favourite alfa model and mine is the 147 - always has been, still love other alfas (156, gt, 159, gtv, sud and brera are my best) but for me the 147 is my favourite. It is compact yet cruises well on the motorway, nimble and handles well on a roads. I love the look, it is not too expensive to run and it Is not too common. When I looked at this I was surrised at the interior space which is quite good for the size of car. In terms of model mine was an ex demo and therefore I had no choice over the spec but I was pleased with the spec of the sport model. Go for a top of the range model to getall the extras and you'll find she is pretty well loaded!this car brings a smile to myface everytime I drive her and there is no chbace I'll be selling in the near future - go for it!
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire
Buy something that wont make you cry when you crash it get 'new driver' out of your system on a shed then go buy an Alfa
AO Member
County: Gauteng
I received my first car , a 2002 147 and love to bits , its got power , comfort , very good handling and everything I could ever want from a car.
When looking for an Alfa try and get a Lusso rather than a Turismo as it has more features such as automatic climate control , cruise control , leather seats , etc and it shouldn't cost much more than a Turismo ,
However the Turismo isn't bad at all especially for a first car , it will still have plenty more features than other cars around the same price

You won't regret buying an Alfa as they are great value for money and the reason for this is...
Alfa is underestimated by the majority of people .
Your Alfa will look after you if you look after it , Alfa is actually reliable , believe it or not !
Alfa is cheaper because people generally think they are unreadable and are bound to fail , NOT TRUE .

Once you experience Alfa , you will understand why Alfa owners love Alfa , it can't be explained .
I would never even think of selling it for another brand.

You also won't see an Alfa around every corner, which is nice as this makes your Alfa a little more unique.

Keep this a secret because this is what keeps Alfa special and unique, if too many people found out about this , Alfa would become more common and less unique :thumbs

Keeps Rolling in his Alfa
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

top gezzer, well said.
Thanks for the replies.

I agree that I would be better going for the Lusso, but while the Turismo, Lusso and TI are quoted (insurance) as almost the same for a provisional license, once passed the Lusso is most expensive (2096, too much), Turismo the cheapest (1476), and the TI smack in the middle (1790)

If I do go down the Alfa route (I definitely will someday), I think I could only go for the Turismo. As much as I love the leather, the style and the extras of the TI, 300 really is a lot of money for a student. Still, perhaps there will be a good deal to be had when it comes to haggling...

As a point of reference, a base Golf 1.6 is...ah. I just refreshed my quote, and Admiral will do it for an insanely good 1096. If there is one available when I'm driving at a good price and with that insurance deal, I will have to go bland boxing. I can't afford to turn away 400 - 700. And that's before fuel and tax savings. My love for Alfa Romeo is worth that much, but I have to have some common sense.

A 1.4 Golf S 971 from the same company. I would spend the extra for the 1.6 in this case, but I'm afraid it may be a while before I join the Alfisti, unless prices change for next year

Sorry for wasting your time folks, the Golf was more to insure when I looked at the quotes yesterday - I can only hope the same thing happens to the 147 by 2011!
AO Member
County: Antrim
Can you tell me where you got your insurance quotes from?
Particularly the Turismo at 1476.

AO Silver Member
County: Greater London
Re: 147 reviews, please :)

if your young you won't find too many around the 1000 mark because the insurance group if high.. don't bother with comparison sites,, they seem to be well out for me.. im 19 and aviva were the best for me, give a try

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , reviews