Intermittent lack of power from JTD - solved! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Temporary Noble
Intermittent lack of power from JTD - solved!

Just a quick note to say how useful the forum has been today...

On Sunday my 156 JTD suddenly lost all power, it could barely set off without stalling, and wouldn't rev freely - it felt like a lack of air getting to the engine. After turning it off and back on again, it cleared, and drove 110 miles home no problem. I thought maybe it was an electrical fault.

On Tuesday, it did the same again, setting off from the fuel station across 3 lanes of traffic! Joy! It took quite a few restarts to clear it this time... Fuel pump maybe?

Today, it did it a couple of times driving to work. A quick search of the valuable forum suggested the EGR Valve was probably clogged up.

Got home, stripped it down, and it was absolutely rammed full of soot. I did read about cleaning with petrol (& coke?) but I simply scraped it all out with a little screw driver, reassembled and it's fixed! And very responsive. The car has only done 39500 miles - I suspect this should be a routine maintenance task on the service schedule, especially given how it leaves you stranded when pulling out of junctions...

I've attached a pic for reference. Only 4 Torx screws to undo to clean it out...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlfaRomeo156 JTD 19 8v EGRV.jpg (66.6 KB, 150 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

intermittent , jtd , lack , power , solved