Another Alfa Mystery - 147 2.0 SS HELP! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 23-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

147 2.0TS SS

Another Alfa Mystery - 147 2.0 SS HELP!

I recently sold my 166 and went onto buying a 147. I bought the 147 3 weeks ago, and its a 2001 108k mile car, with full history except the last one.

It had been sitting since December 09, when i went to view i had to give it a jump for it to start, car had only 1 previous owner and had been maintained very well, therefore i decide to buy vehicle hence its good price.

I bought a new battery, checked all fluid levels and started to drive. After 1 week of nice driving, I turned into my road one day and when I was parking up i realised there was some sort of power loss/misfire at revs below 2.5k, when you turn on the ignition it would take 2 seconds for the engine to start shaking and indicating a slightly irractic idle, when you pop the hood you could actually see the engine vibrating more than norm.

I started to check all fluids again just i case i missed anything and when i opened the selespeed oil it was literately empty, i went to halfords and bought a dextron 3 spec oil and topped it up. When i turned the igniton after topping up the oil, nothing had changed and in fact gone worse as now the engine management failure light was on. When i drive the car the the car would also start to continuously beep after about 5k revs.

I knew it should be spark plugs, so the next day I took it to my local garage to get them changed (i would of done it myself but i gave away my alfa tools & bag with my 166). It was the first time i went to that garage as i thought it wouldnt matter as its only spark plugs.

He turned out to be a cowboy and I had to even remind him that twin spark means 8 plugs, i was watching him while i was on the phone and even though there were allot of oil in the wells he didn't even clean them, instead he put the new ones straight in. Also i realised on his table he had 2 black rubber looking seals which he had taken out of my car, when i asked him were they had come from he goes that he's not sure. So leaving out the rubber seals he puts the new plugs all in.

However when he was done, i gave it a go and it seemed to be fixed. No engine shake, no irratic idle and full power. After i drove for 10 mins, the same symptoms started again but just as not as worse. I didnt go back to the mechanic as i never had time and didnt want to go to that guy anyway.

The next day i bought some tools and opened up the plugs, i took of the ignition coil pack and when i looked down into the spark plug wells i could see that in the first one, the plug was forced down onto a rubber seal. I undid the spark and took out the half black rubber seal, i took out the rest of the plugs cleaned them all, cleaned the wells and cleaned the air filter and put everything back together.

When i checked the car it was fixed everything back to normal but not the engine light, so i did a ecu reset 90 secs in MAR etc....the engine light remained but the engine seemed ok, this time it was ok for about 20mins then started showing the same symtoms, but again the symptoms had decreased.

I drove it like that for 2 days as it wasnt that bad anymore then one morning when i went to drive it the engine light had dissapeared and had no symptoms at all, then it all came back after 10mins of driving! Im going crazy

The problem is now in the first gear while accelerating were as before it happened throughout all the gears under 2.5k. In the first gear i get an unresponsive throttle and random weak points. I've tried disconnecting MAF no change.

Can it be fuel filter? EGR valve? i heard on these selespeed models you cant touch the valve at the throttle body there couldn't clean it.....I havnt got the fault code read yet, should i? Do these cars have spark plug well rubber seals? the dealer says no but what were does black seals that popped out with the coil pack?.....i drove the car for a week with absolutely no selespeed oil at all!! would this do anything to the car? I heard this could happen if your battery's black terminal is not bolted down properly? because my battery's connections aren't really tight.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Diagnosis asap !!
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 24-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

147 2.0TS SS

Yh I guess so.

Is there anything I could try before paying 40 for a diagnoses? Anyone experienced something like this before?
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

If you are near to East Ham You can come over and i'll hook it up to alfadiag and see what codes come up.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , mystery