147 ts 2.0/1.6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 21-03-10 Thread Starter
County: Durham

Member car:

147 TS

147 ts 2.0/1.6

Hi all,

i need to replace my engine in my 147 2.0 TS can i drop a 1.6 engine in or is it a no go.....

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

you need ecu loom etc from what i can remember and why?
AO Member
County: Gauteng
You can change it with a 1.6 if you REALLY want to as long as its the 120 HP version of the 1.6 .
Everything is the same when comparing the 1.6 (120 HP) and 2.0 even the ecu and loom .

Only mapping is different .

You might end up with a fast 1.6 if you leave the 2.0 mapping as it is , not 100% sure though.
AO Member
County: Mpumalanga
Yeah mapping must be different. My ECU was fried (I have a 1.6), and while we are looking for a 1.6 ecu, I'm using a 2.0 one. The loom and abs unit is different on a 1.6. The 2.0 has a variable intake manifold, which is controlled by the ecu. So methinks if you leave the 2.0 ecu in, its going to be heavy on fuel (tried and tested) and the manifold error code is going to be ever present, it also seems to cause the odometer to flash perma. Atleast ASR failure won't be a problem, as the car is a 2.0.
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
2.0 ECU would expect the variable inlet manifold to be connected... Which you could fit to a 1.6. It's been done before, IIRC.
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
I did exactly the same job on an 01 sportwagon 156 a week ago. I replaced the 2.0 litre engine with a 1.6. I used the 1.6 block and head including cams. I retained the 2.0 litre ecu, manifolds, sensors throttle body engine loom etc i put the 2.0 litre exhaust camwheel on it as the 1.6 i used was an older engine with an older type camwheel and cam sensor connector, and im loathe to start changing plugs and soldering leads.The end result was a good engine she drives fine no flashing speedo or fault codes the down side being the car is slower on the pick up and acceleration obviously cos its around 30-40 bhp down. I did all this as i had a free of charge low mileage 1.6 twinspark sitting here. The exercise was a really good remedy for a get it back on the road cheaply fix (the car is only worth 800 quid so its not worth putting a 500 quid engine in it). This is something i would not do to one of the two spiders i have in need of a good engine. My son runs a 1.6 156 so im aware how modest they are on performance but also they are not as sluggish as many a 1.6.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT