Help please with a noise! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Suffolk
Help please with a noise!

My 156 JTD 20V sportwagon has just developed a strange noise when moving off from a standstill and sometimes when turning a lefthand corner (going anti-clockwise).

The noise sounds like a "rubble" and seems to be coming from the O/S rear although I can't be sure.

If the car was a rear wheel drive I would almost say it was a driveshaft, but there is no wobble through the sterring wheel and the noise goes at about 1500RPM.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
I would say it's a CV joint spider and your hearing it wrongly. But there is also a good chance it's a hub bush let go and it's the washers banging off the hub itself, worst case though is a wheel bearing.
AO Member
County: Tyne & Wear

Member car:

916 GTV.

...the left turn "rumble" sounds as if it could be a wheel bearing as that's when the o/s wheels are under more stress, the noise could still be there at all speeds and revs due to it being harder to hear through increased engine and road noise.

Next time you use the car check the wheels for excessive heat when you get home, most noises such as rumbling, squeaking, clicking, clonking etc etc are due to failed components resulting in metal to metal contact which generates heat. The wheels should feel slightly warm to the touch if everything is ok, if a wheel bearing is on its way out the wheel will feel a lot warmer or in a severe case too hot to touch.
If you find a wheel which is noticeably hotter than the rest jack up that corner and check for excessive play in the 6 o'clock 12 o'clock position. Good luck and hope you trace the problem.

1.3 GT Junior, 2000 GTV Bertone, 1.5 Sprint Veloce, 75 3L V6 Widebody, 156 2L TS, 145 1.8 TS, GTV 2L TS x 2, Lancia Fulvia S3 1.6 HF, Lancia Beta 2L Coupe, Lancia Beta 2L Spyder, Fiat Mirafiori 2000 Sport, Fiat Coupe 20vT. Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG. Yamaha YP 125 Scooter. Not all at once
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 20-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Suffolk
Thanks for the replies, my feelings are as yours drive shaft joints wheel bearing or similar but it real sounds like something is not located properly and settles when moving.

It is definatly more noticable when moving in reverse from a standstill, I have looked at the wheel nuts, hubs, and thinks I can hear something similar when rocking the rear of the car, trouble is all noises are very subjectional what I hear is not what you hear and of course all dealers are deaf when it comes to noises!

As I bought the car from Monza it is going back there next Saturday assuming nothing detaches itself before then

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT