156 ECU - the root of all evil??
I have recently bought my first Alfa and absolutely love it - really, I've never driven anyhting quite like it.
It's a 2002 156 2L JTS Lusso with 700000 miles.
However, being new to Alfas, i'm not sure which of the problems on my ECU are serious and need urgent attention and which are things i can ignore and live with until i can sort them out myself.
The main issues i'm having are:
1) The infocentre screen itself fades whenever its starts to warm up at all.
2) I occasionally get a VDC failure. It goes away with a quick turn on / turn off, but is still annoying!
3) I have also seen an Engine Control Failure. Again, this went away once i turned the engine off and on again.
4) The engine sounds a bit irratic when idle, revving very slightly - makes me very nervous it's about to stall on me.
5) Only happend to me once, but my temp guage decided to shoot off the scale, prompting me to pull over to let the engine cool. This was after a pretty gentle 20min dirve on a cold day and the engine wasnt hot at all.
6) The petrol guage can be slightly erratic too!
I know there's a lot there, but it all seems to stem from some electrical problem. It's recently been serviced and passed MOT no problems.
Have been reading other threads on this site, and i'm going to try an ecu reset (advice on best methods would be appreciated) but i cant believe this will solve all the problems.
Even with all these little problems i love the car to bits, but would love some piece of mind and some advice from those in the know!
Thanks in advance guys