Buckled wheel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 12-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4MA

Cry Like A Baby Buckled wheel

Being dumb this morning I managed to skid going into a right turn and hit the curb with a decent amount of force. The front passenger side wheel took the brunt of the force.

Got out to inspect and there's no cosmetic damage other than a relatively small chunk out of the alloy, but the wheel was now catching at a point in its rotation (when the mark was at the top). Luckily I only had literally a hundred yards or so until I got where I was going and so did it at crawling pace.

Took the wheel off to have a proper look, the only visible effect is a slight scuff (and it is very slight - as I said I hardly drove it after) in line with the top of the wheel on the strut that comes down to meet the wheel fitting (sorry, not massively technical and can't find an image to demonstrate!). The inside of the alloy has a big scuff.

The alloy is buckled, I believe, as its rubbing at a certain point and it won't stand up on its own after I took it off (i.e. it isn't balanced).

So, I guess my question is 2-fold:

Firstly, is it worth repairing a buckled alloy (internet search shows plenty of places that do it, but I'm slightly sceptical of the longer term effects), or should I just get a replacement used wheel?

Secondly, is any further damage probable? How sturdy are the suspension set ups in this sort of scenario? I'm guessing that the tracking will need checking anyway now.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

buckled , wheel