Door mirror paint flaking....again! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 26-02-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

Help Door mirror paint flaking....again!

I have a 2005 156 2.4 JTD Ti, we've had it from new, and have had replaced both door mirrors under warrenty due to the paint flaking off the alloy. It's a common problem I know.

Well it's doing it again!!

Does anybody know how to take it all off, door cap & mirror, so I can repaint (spray) it properly rather than just a touch up pen which will look bodged?

All help appreciated.

By the way don't talk to me about potholes.....*$%$ I've only gone and bent the Ti wheel Oh joy!!!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
Hi, I have the same problem. I understand to get the wing mirror mount off you level the black plastic triangle from the inside off. Lever from top down. From there you can disconnect any electrics, and there are 3 bolts to allow removal of the mirror and mount. I have had the plastic off (for door card removal), but not the mirrors yet.
I understand the real fix is get them powder coated. Autolusso sell re-con powder coated ones for 50 pair but most are a gloss black finish. He is getting a pair done for me in a matt black finish; I am the guinea pig. They also sell go used ones for 20 each. You can give him a call. He is on ebay as Autolusso, or PM me for the number.
I suspect painting them yourself will not provide as long lasting results.

147 Ducati Corse
MiTo 1.3 JDTM-2 (95) Lusso
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

My drivers side mirror mounting was flaking quite badly when I got my 156 (the only serious belemish on the car). I took it off, sanded it down, primered it and painted it silk black. Looks good and has survived the winter so far!!
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Chris M, I did the same as one of the mirrors was flaking. Didn't realise how much until I stated to rub it down. After the primer I finished it with several coats of Hammerite Satin Black Smooth. Looks really good.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

door , flakingagain , mirror , paint