156 Overheating-Water pump or air lock?
Calling all Alfa Doctors, I have a sick 156. Can you help?
I'm hoping for an air lock over a water pump for obvious costly reasons. Please see symptoms and I would be very grateful of you advice:
- Temp gauge sits at 95 degrees unless on motorway then it shoots up to boom level.
- Fan kicks in at 95 degrees, but only has one speed (thought there were two).
- Electrical fault means aircon/heater fan not working although I can feel warmth at dash.
- Engine doesn't feel too hot under bonnet.
- Water is not pumping through return tube (to top of expansion tank) even when rev'd with hot engine.
- Not losing any coolant at all.
- With the expansion tank lid off the level goes up and down every few seconds as though there's a back flow.
Oil not milky.
- Temp stays constant 95 degrees when stationary.
My novice guess is probable new water pump needed but hopefully I am wrong.