Understanding Climate Control - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 23-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

AR 156 2.5 V6

Hmmm Understanding Climate Control

I am a little confused and hope someone can explain/clear something up for me.

I recently bought a 156 with climate control (its a 2002 with the original 3 dials) the thing is that the air conditioning compressor is always on (with the exception of when the middle dial is at the zero position)

I had a 156 10 years ago and I thought I remember that you could switch on or off the compressor when the middle dial was in position 1 through 4 by pressing the small snow flake button.

On my latest car this is not the case. The thing is that even with the temp. dial in the maximum heat position I get hot air for a short while and then the vents start blowing tepid air as if it's trying to regulate the temperature. I would expect this is normal when the middle dial is in AUTO. But as I work in a freezing building all day I would just like to blow hot air in to the cabin at a constant rate (1 through 4) and I think that not being able to turn off the compressor is preventing me from doing this.

Sorry for the long winded explanation I hope that it makes sense. Can anybody set me straight, is there something wrong with my system or am I operating it incorrectly?

One last thing I read in the owners book that there is a manual or auto mode which is switched using some fancy combination of keys in and twisting controls, I have followed this ritual but it makes no difference.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , climate , climatecontrol , control , heater or climate , understanding