Engine change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 23-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey
Engine change

I've got a 2.0 156 of 2001 vintage which needs an engine change - either it's broken a piston ring or more likely burnt a valve. Anyway there's no compression on #3, and knowing some of the history of the engine I don't think it's worth rebuilding it.

So I was thinking of getting a (known) s/h or recon engine and dropping it in. Has anyone done this themselves on a 156, and how easy/difficult is it on this car? I've done engine swaps before, but not for yonks, so I'm not put off by the work, and in any case would have a mechanic friend to help me, but just wanted to know whether it's possible to do in a driveway with a block&tackle or crane, or whether good underside access is also needed e.g. with a pit?

Any advice will be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
It's pretty easy...done a couple on my driveway, and tackling the 3rd at the moment. You can do most of it from the top if you have lifting equipment - handy when you have a gravel driveway!

You can either detach the gearbox, or leave it attached and undo the 6 CV joint bolts on each driveshaft and pull it out complete.
AO Member
County: Stara Zagora
Only with engine lifter, my best in changing engine was 5 hours. Gearbox dropped on the ground. Was alone. And in a hurry.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

change , engine