JTS Gearbox Woes (AKA Why did I buy an Alfa!!!) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Moray
JTS Gearbox Woes (AKA Why did I buy an Alfa!!!)

Hi Guys,

Sirstly sorry for the long post. I am at my wits end with this car having over the past 3 years spend well over half the value of the car when I bought in on keeping it on the road!! Not to mention tyre costs!

So by way of an update and a plea for advice really........ My car was suffering from creep in neutral and would not always select 1st or second easily.

Finally I lost 5th gear and ended up getting my local garage to replace the gear at considerable cost.

The car drove great for a weekend and actually managed to put a smile on my face for the first time since I bought it(I have had a lot of issues with this car!!) but last Monday morning
the clutch started feeling like it had no pressure and eventually reached the floor without "biting" which resulted in not being able to change gear at all.

I ended up getting towed to a stealer and they charged me 80 for a pressure bleed of the system which restored it for all of 10 miles! I managed to get it to my usual garage changing with the revs as I was reluctant to go back to the stealer and have the car stucjk there.

There are no apparent leaks in the system(just based on the fluid level remaining constant) and I am at a loss as to what to do now.

The question then is I suppose are the any other known issues that can cause this other than the very expensive ones inside the gear box as if it goes down that route it may be a case of yet another Alfa R.I.P.

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Sounds like the slave cylinder has gone. Unfortunately for you this is inside the bellhousing, so gearbox off again to get to it.

I'd always recommend TS/JTS owners fit a new clutch & slave cylinder when taking the box off, as its too much to risk if anything goes wrong after being disturbed.
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
right car, wrong garage.....
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
Its sounds like the slave cylinder, not so much leaking but a poor seal on the plunger...
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 25-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Moray
JTS Gearbox Update and another question!!

Hi All,

By way of an update I have now had the following works carried out on my car as a result of gearing issues:-

Replacement 5th Gear
New Clutch and pressure Plate
New Cylinder/Release Bearing

Still to get the bill from the garage and not looking forward to it!!!

all gears are now working smoothly and the car is driving well however I still have a couple of issues:

1. I was sat in neutral idling and there was a "knock" from the front end accompanied by the car jerking forward as if the clutch was catchin gon the flywheel.....this has onloy happened once since I got it back a few days ago but is still worrying. Surely this is not a normal occurence for a new clutch??

2. When I sit in neutral the there is a rattle from the box. IT was there before I got any of this work done but now seems to be worse! It does when I depress the clutch pedal. Any ideas what this could be? Driveshaft bearings?

I am hoping it is something fairly easy and cheap to check/fix as I really have had it with this car!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

aka , alfa , buy , gearbox , jts , woes