156 trip computer very innacurate but the wrong way.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 23-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
156 trip computer very innacurate but the wrong way....

ok everyone always whinges about on board computers telling them they are doing more mpg than they actually are.

mine is the other way.....by miles !!!

reckoned i was doing 31.9mpg average, however i managed to do 220 miles on 20 quid thats not 31.9 mpg in a million years.

anyway reset the mileometer thing on the speedo and the trip computer at the same time

have done 60 miles according to the speedo BUT the trip reckons i have only done 43

is there a way to re calibrate the trip comp with alfa diag or something?

main thing is its running ok

i was worried something was very wrong with my engine - just turns out the computer is stupid
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

Extactly the same here - did the normal 38 miles to work - computer says 24.8 miles!!

Anything DIY that can be done or is this a main dealer visit to re-calibrate? Will carsoff/alfadiag etc be able to do anything?

Just checked my maths and this is almost the same ratio out as km -> miles - wonder if the computer is applying an extra conversion somewhere (might try setting the units to km and seeing what that reports)

AO Gold Member
County: Lancashire
and mines accurate to within 2mpg ish. mine must have been a mid week car.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

Not the first time this miles discrepancy has been mentioned on the forum... another trap is the option for US gallons.

Mine, in kilometres, seems to work perfectly. I love the Infocenter but I think I'd like it a lot less if the distance measurement were inaccurate.

Hard to believe that a mistaken miles conversion slips the attention of everyone at the factory, but maybe the Italians have little concept of what a 'mile' is

I'd be a little worried that with no CAN bus for the Infocenter, its programming is probably internal and not update-able via Examiner etc. Unless it gets its information from some other device that can be updated (like, a Body Computer), but on the 156, it seems that the speedometer and rev counter do all the calculations, and they're probably not update-able either apart from replacement.

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , computer , innacurate , trip , wrong