Dunno if the thread you read was mine or not. I've got no problem with the vauxhall MAF from the other thread. It's markings were identical to the one I pulled out of my car.
I ran my car for more than a week with the MAF unplugged, so about 150 miles, and I didn't have a problem. Fuel economy wasn't noticably worse, but I didn't drive it long enough to really find out. I presume it's worse but only to the tune of a few pounds over the time you have it unplugged.
Unplugging it is reasonably straight forward. There's a lug on it that you need to press to unlatch the lug and then you pull the plug off. You may need a torch to see this.
Putting the new MAF on was a lot harder since the MAF was scewed in by a stupid screw I've never seen anywhere else. It was a 5-pronged star with a post in the middle. Don't waste you time trying to use allen keys etc, you need to remove the air pipe section from the car in order to see it.
Undo all the hose clips that you need to in order to remove the air hose. Be careful not to break the flexi bits. The pipe is fastened to the airfilter by a bracket held on by 3 screws. Undo these and the bracket can be removed and you can remove the air pipe from the car.
For the 5 pronged screws I used pliers to undo them and do them back up with the new sensor.
In my car the 3 screws which hold the air pipe to the air filter were all rusted and I ended up shearing them all off. This meant I had to glue the air pipe to the top of the air filter (which is in turn held by screws to the filter housing). I had to undo the water hose to the radiator in order to get the top of the filter out so I could glue it.
I hope this helps.
Another thing, it might be an idea to reset the ECU after the install. After the new MAF the car had a really rough time idling. Truely aweful idle. There's a thread about it here somewhere. I didn't do anything quite as elaborate for my car though, I just fired up all the lights in the car and disconnected the battery. I turned the ignition for a few seconds and then hooked it all back up. There is a different procedure in the other thread, so I probably didn't do it right. It seemed to help though.
Last edited by EwanM; 21-02-10 at 20:43.