The clutch just failed! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 15-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Alfa GT

The clutch just failed!

This has all been resolved now, but I thought I would share my experience with my 61,500 mile 1.9 JTDm GT.

Last Tuesday my wife used my car to travel from Oxfordshire to Bristol, and then the plan was to go on the following day to Truro and back to Oxfordshire in one day to a funeral. She only got as far as Bath, when in the outside lane of the M4 the car lost all drive and coasted to a halt on the hard shoulder.

Mrs DK GT is a member of the RAC and they towed the car home having accepted that it could not be driven. The car came back that night and we left it on the street, outside the house until the next morning.

As the GT is less than 3 years old it is still covered under AA cover, so I called them and asked them to lift it to the dealer I use in London, Lombarda. This was arranged and I was given a courtesy car by Alfa Romeo for 48 hours.

A phone call on Wednesday evening confirmed it was the clutch that had gone and instead of it being wear and tear it had failed at one of the pressings. The way it was explained to me was that if you imagine the drive plate as a record and the section with the label had come removed from the section with the grooves. WOW! How could this happen? FYI the clutch had already been replaced at 20k due to a faulty DMF so it had done only 41.5k. Although the car was still with the time limit of the 3 year warranty it was 1,500 miles over the mileage allowance of the 3rd year, so I was looking at a big bill.

Lombarda were fantastic as usual and told me to let them speak to ARUK and stop by the next day as I was passing to drop off the hire car with them and collect a courtesy car as the 48 hours would run out the following morning, before the car was ready for collection. I duly did and examined the clutch. To my amazement the clutch drive plate was in 2 very separate pieces and the pressing that holds them together had sheared. Lombarda then explained to me that they had spoken with ARUK and it had been agreed to replace the clutch under warranty with no cost to myself.

I was called on the Friday afternoon to be told the car was ready for collection. I drove the courtesy car to Lombarda and collected a perfectly repaired GT.

I would like to thank the guys at Lombarda as I feel without them I wouldn't have stood much of a chance with ARUK, as technically I was out of warranty, but they took the whole problem off my hands and made my very bad experience more pleasant then I could have hoped for.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clutch , failed