Right Side Light Failure - HELP!! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

Alfa GT Q2

Tried this at my local Halfords to guy turned a horrible grey colour when I suggested it , I would rather fit it myself than let some till jockey frig about with my Zenons could end up v costly
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Learned my lesson with the skinned knuckles...now as soon a bulb is out, the very first thing I grab are my Mechanix Wear gloves....believe me there worth every penny!!
AO Member
County: Zürich

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

my garage had the car serviced a few weeks back, and due to frequent failing of side lights, they said they installed some resistor. of course, as i have scratched the rubber and cover a lot while trying to fix it myself, so they replaced the covers, too.
but no good. three weeks and right side light is gone.. and one week later left side light is gone, too. i wouldn't care anymore about them, but the onboard computer finishes the check-up process so much late when there is an error. plus i was meaning to sell the car, and now i have to get them fixed, which means one hour labor cost at a garage...
i wonder if alfa 159's light can be easily replaced; that is my first criterion to look for in a new car now
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Just changed the passenger sidelight on the non-xenon GT. Took 20 mins with knuckes intact! I made a little mirror on the end of a pencil with a piece of string attached for when i drop it in the engine bay! I can tell you that you've got more chance of winning the lottery, than getting that bulb holder back through the hole without some visual assistance. Prolly also helps if you turn the lights on when doing it as shining a torch in there doesn't really get the angle.

The second pic is where is positioned the little mirror so as to be able to see the tiny hole for the bulb to go in.

First time i've done it too. quite pleased -was expecting traumas. Oh and for anyone who doesn't (know like me), you're not meant to touch the glass bit of the bulb. Kind man in the car shop said so. Used latex gloves.

hope it helps. cheers.

Last edited by t3yls; 02-04-11 at 14:56.
AO Member

Member car:

2004 156 1.9 JTD

Sorry to bring this topic up again
My offside sidelight bulb has also failed. When the car was in my local garage (non Alfa) they spent 45 minutes trying to get the bulb out. Trouble is the tab is missing and even with curved long nosed pliers the holder wouldn't come out.
They now want me to book the car in again and they'll take the bumper off and remove the
headlight - up to 1 &1/2 hrs work. I tried myself today and the bulb holder just turns 180 degrees but wont pull out.
Any ideas?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

failure , light , side