Can really cold weather affect an immobiliser? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 07-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Copenhagen

Member car:

Can really cold weather affect an immobiliser?

I’ve been having problems starting my 147 all winter – as soon as it gets covered in snow, or the temp gets much below freezing it won’t start – as soon as it’s had a couple of hours in a warm garage with a heater blasting away at the front end it starts just fine…

When it gets too cold the central locking also stops working, and I can only unlock it manually, not with the remote on the key fob - the red light on the key fob also flashes, but I've no idea if that is significant.

When I try to start it the starter motor goes just fine, but the engine doesn’t fire, and I noticed that the code light doesn’t come on (it usually gives a brief flash as the engine starts).

Last time I took it to the mechanic he hooked it up to the diagnostics, which read fine, so he told me I just needed a new battery, but the next day it wouldn’t start again…

My theory is that the cold weather is somehow affecting the immobiliser and locking system – does this make any sense?

If this could be the problem, then is there anything simple I can do myself – or a specific bit I should point a heater at when it breaks too far from a garage?

- I have heard something about a ‘code start’ (I have a code card for the car), but I’m not sure exactly how that works – would this be a way round the problem if it’s the immobiliser that’s somehow the problem?

Thanks for any help

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

affect , cold , immobiliser , weather