SELESPEED-Pothole-Failure-Reboot!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

Nightmare Scenario. Taking parents to Heathrow in 156 Sele. All good. Plenty of time. Approaching Buckden roundabout (A1) southbound, selespeed warning light starts flashing and car stays in 5th gear. unable to change by any means
As I came to a stop at the roundabout, the car put itself into neutral and I got the warning beeps. It wouldn't go into gear manually and wouldn't select City mode.Too noisy at roadside to hear if pump was priming. Too dangerous to get out of drivers side.
Called up RAC and in meantime, checked all the usual areas, including all sensors. Sprayed a little WD40 on the underside sensors and then waited for RAC as i did not have hex key to remove SELESPEED ECU cover. I intended to unplug and replug the connector. Once we had battery disconnected, unplugged ECU, plugged it back in and connected battery and turned key to MAR. In effect, rebooted the sysyem. All working. !!!!
By this time, parents had got a taxi to Airport, to be on the safe side. It was Friday pm appraoching CAR PARK FULL o'clock on M25.
Thinking back to the earlier part of the journey, I had managed to clip one or two unavoidable tarmac craters which may just have been enough to knock a connection loose. No other explanation could be reasoned. Drive carefully out there but don't panic, a battery disconnect could be the answer.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
would the sele pump have a carbon build up, and the pothole had an effect similar to knocking the pump with a small hammer?

it may mean a new pump is needed sooner or later as it can be a more frequently occuring problem.

(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 08-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
time for an investigation. first time it has happened.87k on clock. well maintained and serviced. think it could be time to buy alfa diag and run a few tests and re calibrate
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
I had Renault Megane once that decided the brakes were faulty and refused to start, and a battery disconnect sorted that, but it needed a 10mm spanner to do it. Good job I was a home. As soon I as reversed off the drive the ABS fault cleared too... a bit of dirt, I expect.

Top tip: Always carry a 10mm spanner to disconnect the battery.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT