Cold/Wet Braking Performance - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 06-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Arhus
Cold/Wet Braking Performance

Hello all, nybie here in Denmark.

I have a 2.0 GT with standard brakes and I have noticed that the brakes are often unresponsive when braking for the first time in cold weather, and also when driving on slushy/salted roads. Its feels like moisture is being trapped between the brake disks and pads and that this needs to be 'burnt off' before the brakes work as they should. This is somewhat disconcerting when driving at high speed on German autobahns!!!

Is this a general problem with 147/2.0/GT models?

I am starting to wonder if the 100k service (one month) ago has something to do with the problem, as the brake fluid was changed. Could it be that the brake system was not bled correctly? Or that the pads are not positioned close enough to the disks? Note that new disks and pads were put on the car just over a year ago.

There seems to be a difference in braking performance at different temperatures. The problem doesn't seem to arise at temperatures below -5, and is especially a problem between -2 and +1 degrees, i.e there is more moisture at this temperature range.

Any help/ideas appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTDm

It may be the quality of brake pads used, some aftermarket pads perform better when up to temp. Never had this problem personally, and you should get a a brake check done for your own safety.
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm 2007

mine is like this too, they're not as good first thing in the morning, by the time I get out on the road they are back to normal. I put it down to condensation on the discs.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

braking , cold or wet , performance