How different is the GT to the 147? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 31-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands
How different is the GT to the 147?

First Alfa was a 156 mk2 which I loved everything about and moved to the 147 as I had heard that it handled and felt better and the interior was better but was sadly mistaken as the car is not close!

So how different is the GT to the 147? I am hoping for better than 147 build but what about handling, steering feel, gear changes etc as the 147 feels good compared to a Golf but for a GT style car it would be lacking....
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hampshire
The GT is a better car, buy one.
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Premio
County: Bratislavsky
Engine, suspension, transmission, interior, most of the parts is exactly the same. Steering feel is the same because itís the same components, same power steering and the same weight on the front wheels. Gearshift is the same as itís the same box, same gear linkage, same bushes.... Interior is the same except seats and gearshift lever trim so you might not even notice you switched the car

I drove GT only briefly, but the only differences I found is different (not better, not worse, just different) wind sound at speed due to different aerodynamic and probably the handling is closer to 156 due to different weight distribution and maybe more stable rear at high speed braking.

But if I had the choice, I would get the GT instead of 3door 147. You are getting the same car, but with a bigger boot and coupe looks.

147GTA,Grigio Metallico,Imola leather, 3.75l conversion,F360 TB,ported heads,Balduzzi cams,GTV manifolds,EQ pipes,Supersprint silenced cat back,18" GT multispokes,KW V3,Galfer 6pot 355mm,Brembo sport rear, Blaupunk NewYork 800 + Focal

147 1.6TS, Nerro,Beige Interior,Galfer Extreme Brake kit,2,0TS intake manifold,Custom ex. manifold,200CPI cat,Supersprint silenced center + OO backbox,GTA spoiler,GTA side skirts,GTA headlights,Blaupunkt LA MP74 + Focal + MacAudio + Dynamat + HERZ subwoofer
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

GT ss/Cav mk1

Originally Posted by Willber G View Post
The GT is a better car, buy one.
AO Gold Member
County: Lancashire
based on a 156 floorplan, suspension from both the 156 and 147.

lower slung, stiffer, inside wise, basically identicle, but i found it a much better drive, more precise

and i liked the stiffness, but then, thats just me
Regional Representative
For South Africa - AO-SA
County: Gauteng
Gt ftw!
Graham P
A 3.2 V6 GT is a different beast altogether

Then again so is a 147 GTA....d'oh!!!
AO Silver Member
County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

The cabin of the GT, while looking almost identical to the 147, feels slightly different due to the shape/angle of the pillars and the 'sportier' seats.

Having owned both, I loved my 147 but love my GT more. The 2 engines were worlds apart (1.6TS and 1.9JTD), so can't really compare them on that score-the GT is much more powerful but is less 'fun' around town.
Eric C
I agree with CCOVICH completely.I went from a 1.6 147ts to a 2.0 GT jts and I wouldnt go back.Its very similar in lots of ways, in particular the interior but the road holding, power delivery etc are much superior.The road and wind noise are an issue but you expect that with pillarless doors.Go for the GT, you will not be dissapointed.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire
Originally Posted by Eric C View Post
The road and wind noise are an issue but you expect that with pillarless doors.
I don't get this bit, have neither with our beemer
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
GT = coupe style . But don't forget the 16V JTD in the 147 makes it very punchy; same engine as the GT but slightly quicker to 60
Eric C
I had very little wind noise with my 147 and a lot with the GT.I put it down to the pillarless doors,maybe Im wrong.
Eric C
Originally Posted by Ellaura View Post
GT = coupe style . But don't forget the 16V JTD in the 147 makes it very punchy; same engine as the GT but slightly quicker to 60
That would be the extra weight.Goes against you for punchyness but good to know when your stuck to the road doing 80mph plus.
County: -

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

GT all the way.
As someone said before most of the components are the same in both cars, but as for driving experience GT is better at least for me.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT