MPG from the JTD! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Member car:

alfa 147 gta

hi, did you get this problem sorted?? because i have the same problem.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Northumberland

Member car:

Alfa 156jtd 2.4

Hi, it's a nightmare of a problem that actually may not be as bad as you think - I had or thought I had the same problem with my 2.4jtd (getting less than 30mpg), I did check running temps and changed the thermostat (now running at correct temp) and the mpg only went up by about 2 - 4mpg. I didn't do the brim to brim which would have spotted a mistake earlier or noticed something was strange.
The problem I have is the info display reads utter ****e - I tracked the figures up from the odometer & compared this against the miles on the info display against a known distance - so 50miles was showing actually just over 82 (the difference out was approx 62% all the way up from 0 miles up to 100 - so actually getting 63% more mpg than it says (so in reality this was more like it averaging over 42mpg).
So maybe worth just checking your info display against a known distance and seeing what your speedo is also reading).

hope this helps.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

crikey thats a new one, would never have thought of that being at fault
AO Member
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Member car:

156 2.4 JTDm 20v

Took my car to Tenby and back on the weekend. Brim to brim test and the car was doing 53.8mpg @ a steady 70mph
AO Member
County: Brabant Wallon
Just back from Spain on a 2003 156 SW JTD 115 and 228000 km, 1059 km and still +/- 3 liters of fuel in the tank, so +/- 60 liters burnt. Max speed 130-140 km/hr during less than 20 % of trip due to traffic.
AO Member

Member car:

Hi Miktush

Re. your info display problem.

Check that the system is showing imperial units rather than metric. The ration 50 to 82 you quoted is not far away from the difference between miles and kilometres! The conversion factor is 1.609344. For example, 50 miles = 1.609344 * 50 = 80.4672 km

On the GT you can alter the display parameters. I'm not familiar with the 156 but assume the same thing is possible.

Hope this helps.

My GT JTD 1.9 has shown an average of 40.85 mpg for the 54000 odd miles since I started driving it. I brim the tank and check the odometer to get the figures. On the motorway it can give about 58mpg or above, but around town the consumption is relatively heavy (around 30mpg? I haven't checked). There are probably good reasons for this. Ones I can think of are

Power steering increased use (more corners), and added friction on corners due to a relatively heavy vehicle on wide tyres

Engine stays at less efficient rpm for more time (ideal speed for a JTD is the maximum torque speed of 2000 rpm)

More braking & acceleration (wastes energy)

More idling without moving (traffic lights etc)

Engine fans sometimes cut in, using energy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , computer , jtd , mpg