Lost Wheel Nut Key...Help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 24-01-10 Thread Starter
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

Lost Wheel Nut Key...Help

I need new brakes on my 147, and the garage can not find the wheel nut key. I have looked in the spare wheel kit...can't find it. Any ideas? They said they could knock off the nuts and put on new ones, but could cause some damage.

How do I get a replacement key or avoid any damage?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
If they're original Alfa locking nuts, they might be able to supply spare keys.

If not, there are tools to take them off, but you'd have to fit either new locking or standard bolts.
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Bash a socket onto it or go to a local tyre place who should be able to remove it
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
The other day a friend had a puncture with a similar problem and the rac had a device to remove the nut.Its probably cheaper to bash a 16mm or near sized socket on it and the others and buy a new set of locking nuts/studs.
AO Member
County: Devon
I lost my key a couple of years ago. The garage removed all 4 of the locked wheel nuts and replaced them, but not with original locking ones. Take one of the nuts with you and get replacements at a scrap yard, I think mine were from a Fiat. Alloy wheels (unless extra special ones ) are very common now, it could be argued that they are not worth locking anymore. Some tyre depots have a universal key which fits most cars, so if they can undo the nuts then you can fit replacements.
AO Member
County: Highlands

Member car:

Brera, Saab 9-3

If they are the original alfa locking nuts then a dealer can supply a replacement key, but they will need the 3 or 4 digit code which should be somewhere in with the cars paperwork or the small box the nuts came in originally. Without that they would have no way of knowing which of the few hundred odd different key designs you need to match your nuts.

I lost my key a while ago but managed to find the code so ordered up a new key. They also had to see a copy of my V5 before they could order a new one up as well. Ended up costing about 15 quid I think.
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
The laser socket tool mentioned earlier will remove the nut and cause no damage to the stud, it is simply an internal left hand thread socket for a bar or ratchet!!? If it's a stud you are trying to remove then who cares if it ruins it you have no key!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

keyhelp , lost , nut , wheel