156 JTD Clutch Fun - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 23-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

VW Jetta

156 JTD Clutch Fun

Hi all,

bought a 156 JTD last week. Quite a bargain (01 plate @1600) but I knew it needed a few things.
The first thing I have got round to this weekend is a new clutch. Bought a fast road model from CG Motorsport (I have used them before for my Seat Leon TDi great value). Spent the whole day today getting the gearbox out. What a nightmare!! Compounded by the fact that this car has had a major oil leak at some stage and the gearbox wasn't giving up the location of bolts or cables or anything really, all camouflaged black :-)
I have ordered new upper & lower wishbones at the same time (which should have arrived today but didnt GRRR). Seems a shame not to do it all while you have it in bits.

I have broken the clutch slave cylinder bracket getting it out so does anyone know of any breakers in the south west which open on Sunday? probably none but worth a try. Either that or anyone got a gearbox festering in their garage I can pilfer the bracket from?

Anywho. Looking forward to getting it all cleaned up and back together ready for a remap in the next couple of weeks :-)
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Don't know of any down here but autolusso will prob stock what you want and send it pretty quickly.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 01-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

VW Jetta

well tomorrow will be the 6th day working on this job and hopefuly the last (although I said that about today). What a nightmare, do you ever get the feeling you bought a bit of a lemon? all the bits not covered in oil were covered in rust. Still gearbox is now back in with the new clutch in situ. Didnt realise these cars had a pull clutch. Has anyone else made the mistake of trying the release bearing on the pressure plate before putting it in the car? If notand you are thinking about it DONT! the release bearing has a sleeve over a clip which will expand once only!
I have cleaned and painted the subframe and started putting the suspension back together. New Anti-Roll bar bushes, New upper & Lower wishbones and now realised I need new anti roll bar drop links as I stripped the thread on the old ones (Grrr).

Other things I have done are drive shaft oil seals (easy to do unbolt flange knock out seal with big socket and knock new ones in)
I have also done the gearbox input shaft seal and the engine rear crannk seal. The rear crank seal is cause for great concern for me. Anyone else done one? I liberally coated it in silicone sealant as the mating edges look a bit dodgy. Hope it doesnt leak!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , clutch , fun , jtd