Shot Variator?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 22-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear
Shot Variator??

Hi guys,

My 156 2.0 TS underwent an engine rebuild last year (at great expense) and it's been running great since. I think my Variator is shot though (or certainly on it's way out) as sometimes when I start it up, I get the diesel taxi soundtrack for a few seconds then it shuts up.

Sometimes when I've been driving enthusiastically, it can sound like a taxi when it's idling. Is replacing the Variator expensive? Also, am I likely to notice any performance gains after it's been done?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Diesel noises at startup are usually the tell-tale sign.

The variator's about £100 on top of a normal belt change. How far into the 36,000-mile service interval are you?
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
The variator is on the end of the camshaft and will sound like a diesel when its knackered. Changing it means taking the camshaft out so it will be a cambelt change. If you are good with a spanner you can do it yourself. i did mine! The performance will be affected as this is essentially what makes the cam adjust when the engine is higher in the rev range to aid better performance aka variable valve timing. The best way to tell if it is def the variator is to get someone else to start the car with the bonnet open. isten to where the noise comes from. If its from the top left then bingo. Variator kaput. If its accross the middle of the engine its more likely to be lazy hydrulic lifters.

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
Alfa Mito QV , BMC filter.

GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

shot , variator