My first Alfa Gt - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 20-01-10 Thread Starter
County: West Midlands

Member car:

alfa 147

My first Alfa Gt

Hi everyone
I am looking at an 09 plate Cloverleaf GT diesel.Absolutely love the look of the GT in and out.Can anyone give me positive and neagtive feedback about the diesel GT. Are there any problems they are prone to ? things I should look out for ? any feedback would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

As with most Alfas, they do have odd quirks that you'll need to get used to - things like squeaks, rattles, random (and confusing!) warning lights, etc, etc. Most of these are quite benign and we're all used to understanding what needs attention and what doesn't!

Make sure you keep to service intervals, decent oil/water levels, etc. and find yourself a good independent that you can trust.

Other things you'll need to be aware of include:

- Turning the radio off so you can listen to the car;
- Catching yourself grinning when you find a clear road;
- Grinning even more when you get to the end of said clear road;
- Finding various excuses to 'take the car out'

etc, etc. and finally:

- Finding yourself logging onto whenever you're near a PC

AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Ex GT 3.2 V6

I found this Alfa romeo GT buyers guide very useful when bought mine.

Alfa Romeo GT Buyer's Guide
AO Member
County: Durham
The only specific problem I had with mine (08) that is related to it being a diesel was the EGR valve sticking. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do really to check for this in just happens. What is useful is recognising the symptoms (loss of power below 2k rpm) and getting it to a dealer sooner rather than later while it's still driveable.

Other than that it's a great engine in my experience. Are you going for the 150 or 170 version?
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

GT 1.9 Q2 Lusso

Get a Q2 version. I got my Lusso Q2 off Mango's, and when I had it serviced by them I took their GT cloverleaf as a courtesy car, it was without Q2 and I couldn't believe the difference. If you get the car re-mapped (and, in time, you will!) then having Q2 helps further.
AO Member
County: Greater London
Hi rocco
like Orothon said look out The EGR valve (not very exspensive just annoying) you'll notice abit of hesitation/stuttering are the first signs. Also Look out for a Heavy someone described as Notchy Clutch pedal (had alot of work on my JTDm clutch Under warranty) should be light and bite should be on the middle of the travel of the Pedal i was getting leg ache working the clutch before the repair could be slave cyclinder or master cyclinder, (mine was both).

Other than that its just niggles i found as long as its looked after and serviced just enjoy it.
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

I've had my 06 model GT jtd for nearly a year now & use it as an everyday car. I had it remapped by red dot a few months back. Superb. The oil level gauge on start-up on the dash is not particularly accurate, so still check using the dip-stick.
My drivers-side windscreen wiper failed a couple of weeks ago & was fixed under warranty. This is another fairly common problem.
I found the clutch to be OK, but then I do have big legs.
Yes, the occasional rattle, but nothing else major.
I've had FAR fewer problems with my 2 Alfas (a Brera & now my GT) than my mate has with his same-age Audi A3, which are supposedly "super-reliable???".
As others have said, a good independant for servicing is a good idea, as is the buyers guide that RossoGT pointed out.
Its a VERY good all round car.
AO Member
County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa GT

GT - the one to have

As above comments plus watch for rattly rear hatch. I've owned 3 and only my current car is virtually rattle free. Diesel engine is surprisingly good but sounds like a tractor.
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
It's not without its problems.

Electric Windows
Wind noise from windows
Clutch pedal retaining pin
Clutch master/slave cylinder problems
Water pump - has lead to some catastrophic failures, see the sticky at the top of the forum
EGR Valve sooting up and sticking, another sticky to perform DIY clean.
Engine Management warnings.

Don't let the above scare you, they're not serious just annoying. All cars have issues to a greater or lesser extent - I'd say the GT compares very favourably in that department with some of the so called prestigious marques, and none of them are as good looking or as practical as the GT.

All the best

AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

159 SW Ti

I have the same car and I'm very happy with it, its a good all rounder and if your are into that sort of thing there is plenty you can do to it; equally they are plenty of people on here with untouched examples who are equally happy.. As others have said there are minor niggles but I've had nothing catastrophic with mine and to be honest, I've never had a car that didn't.

I do like that having (usually) the fastest car in the car park and easily the prettiest..It does turn heads and is rewarding to own.

As has also been said, finding someone to look after it is key, there are still plenty of duff dealers about but there are good people out there and of course many excellent independents. Might be worth (if you haven't already done so) just seeing what comments other have made about your intended dealer, but bear in mind that for the most part people don't report positive or neutral actions by either car or dealer.
AO Silver Member
County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Originally Posted by tlracing View Post
- Turning the radio off so you can listen to the car;
Emm, he's looking at a JTD!
AO Member
County: Kent
Buy it
Drive it
Love it.
I've got a Cloverleaf Diesel.
looks brilliant
everyone asks about it
It's insanely pretty.
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 22-01-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 147

My first Alfa Gt

Thanks for all the feedback !
AO Member
i was gonna say you need to turn the radio up to drown out the noise of the tractor engine.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT