Alloy deflating tyre? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 13-01-10 Thread Starter
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa 147 T Spark

Alloy deflating tyre?

Hi guys,

I'm new to this & have an issue that hopefully, i can be advised on.

I have a 147 hatch. Over the last year or so i have gone through about 3 tyres on the front drive side. It looks as if the alloy deflates the tyre, which i have to constantly top up with air. Trouble is, the tyres wear quite quickly & have to be replaced.

Do i need to splash out on a new alloy? Can i get this one repaired? Does anyone know where i'd go to in the Derbyshire/Sheffield area?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
Alloy wheels can be porous - used to be a big problem with Fords back in the 1970s. The way my local tyre place cured it was to take the tyre off, clean up paint the inside of the wheel & refit the tyre.
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

Various alfa's

The alloy probably has corrosion around the edge where the bead of the tyre 'seals'. It results in a gradual loss of air, and if not kept upto pressure will wear the tyre excessively.

A tyre shop can use a tyre sealant on the inside edge where the tyre sits, or if its very bad corrosion then get the wheel refurbished.

AO Platinum Member
Originally Posted by PowerItalia View Post
The alloy probably has corrosion around the edge where the bead of the tyre 'seals'. It results in a gradual loss of air...
I have that on three of mine.
It was all four until I got an unrepairable puncture and the fitter cleaned the inside edges of the rim properly and used more sealant. Now that one doesn't loose any air.

Not a problem for me as I keep an eye on them and top up.

When I get the next set of tyres I'm make sure they make more of an effort to clean and seal them.
AO Member
County: Greater London
When I had my fronts fitted last summer the wheels were teribly corroded causing air loss so bad I was convinced both fronts were punctured.

The fitter cleaned away as much corrosion as possible using a wire wheel in a drill then cover the area with black gunk sealer - new tyres still lose a little air so will probably have to have them reconned some time.
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

147 JTD16M

I had the problem on another car, I think Kwik-fit charged something to seal the new tyres first time but don't remember having to pay again when it didn't quite work. Tell them the wheels are losing air, they'll suggest something.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Check the valve as well. I have one that leaks .. only noticed when I was washing the wheels and bubbles appeared in the water that was sitting in the valve hole. The valve body is leaking very slightly not the actual valve itself ... although check that as well. Washing up liquid over the end will create a nice bubble if it is

Might go for some more expensive bolt in valves next time. Had those on the 75 and they never leaked.

the last time I had new tyres, the fitter gave the rims a good clean up as there are often old bits of beading left stuck on when the old tyres are removed. he couldn't get the first tyre to seal so did it on all four in the end regardless. (Chances are he then short-cut the valves and didn't change them only the internal valve).

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alloy , deflating , tyre