Front windscreen wiper motor kaput - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
Front windscreen wiper motor kaput

2001 (Y) 1.8 156 Sportwagon - it chooses now with fresh snow falling for the front windscreen wipers to pack up completely (the push up option for occasional wipe went last week). I have read all the threads and although it looks like on occasion it may be excess damp/old leaves etc most of the time the motor has had it and needs replacing. Luckily sounds like the remove and replace can even be done by someone with two left hand such as myself.

So the question is, is there anyone with an already removed or breaking model of similar vintage who has a working front wiper motor?

Subsidiary question is, do you need a Torq head for any of the remove/replace and if so d'you know what size?

Of course, ideally you'd live in Berkshire/North Hants....

Sponsored Links

here is the guide i used at the weekend,

remove wiper blades , one bolt on each (make sure the wipers are at the rest/park position 1st)

you will have two screws to remove at each end of the wiper tray (mine were rusted on so i would suggest using wd40 the night before)

then there are three torq screws holding the wiper tray in postion (mine only had one) cant remeber what size i used ,think it was a 5 or smaller

then there are some clips holding the wiper tray's just pull them up slowley and dont break them they are only made of plastic

once in there are three bolts holding the motor (one on the motor then one each end of the motor arm)

i spent 2 hrs in the freezing cold doing this, cleaned the contacts etc but the pcb board is fooked so after all my hard work they still only work on fast setting and wont reset to park time to by a replacement hope you have better results
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 21-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
all replaced over the weekend; couple of hints:
- when replacing the wiper mech on back of motor make sure the 'linkage' (the short brass bit) points down (it can spoin around when removing/replacing the three bolts); otherwise even if you test the motor to ensure its 'parked' when you put the arms back on it will try and wipe downwards! Turn off ignition quickly otherwise that's another motor!
- you can get the drivers side bolt out without removing the rusting screw on the A pillar (but you do need to take out the screw underneath)
- do remember that the arms are held on with nuts under those grey protectors and dont simply try to lever them off (as I did initially!)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

front , kaput , motor , windscreen , wiper