Gearbox porridge - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 11-01-10 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Gearbox porridge

Managed to get my 2002 147 back from Nottingham to Macclesfield with what I have since learned (chat with ex alfa mechanic) failed/failing gearbox linkage bushes, apparently these can firm up in cold weather? I'm now having to get the revs just right to pop in and out of gear. An alfa dealer has quoted 308.00 to supply and fit new gearbox linkage, alternatively i can get a used one for 65.00 and get the garage 'round the corner to fit. Any thoughts on the best option, money is an issue but if it's a one price fix I'll stump up the cash...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
Hi Steve,

The magic phrase you need is "gear selector plate". Search this forum for that phrase and have a read. This is the likely source of your troubles, it is a very cheap part. If you just want to replace the bushes, even cheaper! Like, less then 5 cheap!

This part sites under the battery in the engine bay, and is easily less then an hours effort for doing it at home with very simple tools. At a garage, even quicker!

If it is the part under the actual gear stick that is worn, it involves more work as the exhaust will have to come off to get at it from underneath, so slightly pricier! Nearly always the other bit though, as the forum search will reveal.

Not a 300+ job, although a garage not familiar with Alfa's may not know this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

gearbox , porridge