Infocenter oil level indicator - is it trustworthy? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Infocenter oil level indicator - is it trustworthy?

How reliable is the Infocenter display of the oil level (the one showing up when starting the engine)?
Mine was showing full for the past month, then suddenly (on Saturday) it was showing full when I left home and 10 km later it went one bar below full? It stayed that way since, which makes me wonder if my car's drinking oil (might have a turbo problem, says the local stealer) or the sensor's gone AWOL?

Also, on the first oil change I did after buying the car, the dipstick read maximum yet the display was showing two bars below Max - it then stayed that way for 2500 km.
Dipstick level appears to be fine and I can't see any obvious leaks.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
It's just a (Rough) guide. Always check with the dip-stick
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Mine goes from completely empty to five bars and back again, I wouldn't even call it a rough guide to be honest.

Do as Mitch says, ignore it and check the dipstick every week.
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Don't forget that the second the engine starts the oil gets moved around the engine and will read less in the sump... Hence why you should only ever check your oil on a cold engine!
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

alfa romeo brera

My oil indicator on a 2.2 jts engine has always been reasonbaly OK. However It showed as being completely empty this morning despite the dipstick showing as full. Later on it showed as being half full! Would check dipstick weekly, if not more often just to be on the safe side.
Update - my car did exhibit an oil leak in the meanwhile, apparently some gasket related to a "pre-heater" (i.e. some part between the oil filter and the engine, which heats the oil before it goes into the engine) had failed. It became apparent the previous weekend, I confirmed it on Monday, took the car straight into the local indie the next day. Picked it up on Friday, issue fixed - 4 EUR for the gasket, 10 EUR for replacing the leaked oil (about 1/2 l), some modest charge for the labor.
Fortunately (or not), with the same check, they also discovered the servo pump was also leaking, so I had that replaced as well. Part was about 60 EUR, labor was 150!
Bottom line on this - the Infocenter display might be lying or not. Make sure you check the dipstick often enough and watch for oil drops on your parking spot.
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Is there an Oil Level on the infocenter? I thought it was just oil temp? Or is that just for the GTA?
Yes it is - the "Oil Level" when you put the key to MAR. No idea about the GTA though.
Today it got one line below maximum and I think it's still leaking - although gas stations are not the best places to check for leaks.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

indicator , infocenter , level , oil , trustworthy