Potholes and Alloys do not mix - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 05-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 Ti 2.4 JTDM

Potholes and Alloys do not mix

This morning I hit a pothole which ripped a two inch lump out of my 156 Ti alloy. It seems that Alfa do not have any replacements anywhere in the UK and that there is a back order of (now) 27.

I have three questions for the forum:

I will be moaning to the local council and attempting a claim (360 + vat) but I am not that hopeful. Any advice?

I have found on here someone selling a set of 159 alloys, but I am not sure if the stud pattern will fit my 2005 156. Will they?

Does anyone know of part number 60689800 being available anywhere?

Now driving on the skinny spare, very carefully.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Sorry to hear you've damaged your alloys. I think the council will only pay out if the pot hole is below a certain depth, unfortunately I can't remember what that depth is. My advice go and take some photos of the damage to your wheel and the pot-hole with something to indicate its depth. Always good to have evidence, you might want to consider a small claims action against the council at some point.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
The pcd is 110 on new alfas where as 100 on the 156 so no joy i'm affraid
AO Member
County: West Sussex

Here is a link with might be useful Potholes.co.uk - How to claim cant say i have tried it but might be of some use.
Also i was under the impression that it isn't the council, its the highways agency you need to speak to?
good luck.
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
It all depends on the type of road as to who is responsible. Local Authoroties are responsible for minor roads whilst the Highway Agency has responsibility for trunk roads. Start with the LA, they will soon let you know if it's not them.

Best of luck with the claim.
County: Cork
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
The pcd is 110 on new alfas where as 100 on the 156 so no joy i'm affraid
It's actually 98 on the 147/156/GT not 100 but alloys with 100 PCD can be fitted using wobbly bolts. But as you said 159/Brera/Spider alloys will not fit the 156.
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
I have just had to change a 16" Selespeed after going down a pothole or rather a trench on New Years eve. Luckily I had a spare so it only cost me a tenner to get the tyre swapped. Typically, the system makes it a right pain to claim so I wont bother for a tenner. I feel for you though and I think I would contest for the amount you are talking about.
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

159 1.9 Lusso

After losing a fight with a particularly nasty pothole earlier today this thread has suddenly became of interest! It looks as though my nearside front 17" alloy has been knocked egg shaped local to home.
I've arranged to have the wheel etc looked at tomorrow by an independent which if buckled they have a used (round) replacement to get me sorted. Needless to say they wont be doing the work or supplying the replacement wheel for free so once in receipt of the invoice I intend to take the matter up with the local council, it will be interesting to see how I get on.
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

I don't know how it works with other councils, but Kent County Council will only pay out if they have been told (by someone other than you) more than 3 working days in advance of the pothole being there...

I found this out when I tried to claim against them; oddly enough when I asked whether someone had previously reported it they said the they couldn't tell me as I had just made a complaint about it 30 seconds before hand!

So, from now on I will always get my other half to call to ask if someone has reported it, and if not I will then wait 3 days before calling myself!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alloys , mix , potholes