Salenia Oil?? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
Was pleasantly surprised today, after the general rubbishing on here of prices charged by Alfa main dealers, that when I checked the price of Selenia 20K which I use in my 2.0 JTS was at 15.75 inc. VAT for 2 litres, far cheaper than any I could find on the net. I know there is a lot of talk on here about other cheaper oils but with consumption at 1 litre per 2600 miles on an engine which has done 54K I am happy to stay with Selenia as recommended by my trusted indie, Mike Roberts.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
15.75 for 2 litres

They can keep it for me.

The JTS is meant to use 10w-60 by the way, 20k is a 10w-40
Tesco do a fully synthetic for 17 for 4 litres. Can't remember the grade. Oddly their semi synthetic is the same price as the fully.

I used to use Comma oils in my 164s and Halfords semi synthetic. Never had any problems.

I don't see the point of using an ester base oil then changing it at 9,000 miles. The whole point is that it will do 20,000 miles no problem (as long as its not very short runs every day). if you are going to chicken out at 9,000, then stick to semi synthetic. No point in buying expensive stuff for its longer lasting properties if you don't make it last longer.

As other have said avoid the cheapo 20/50 stuff with no detergents you see in the Supermarkets. It probably works OK as oil, but will gum up the engine in no time at all.

AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
I have the ester based Silkolene Pro S 10/50 in the sele, thinking it would help reduce the oil consumption. If anything it has gone up, almost as high as when I was using Magnatec. So far Selenia 20k definately works best. Similar experinece with the Magnatec in the 145, just drinks it. Does not seem to make much difference in the 166's V6, seems very unfussy and gets what it given.

So, I now have a choice, do I stick with the Silkolene in the sele, or drain it off and put it in the 145 instead, then do I put 20K back in the sele or try 10/60 as is now recommended?

Or just slap some Silkelene 10/40 in, like the 166 has and keep topping it up often?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

oil , salenia