147 - Dodgy Suspension/Steering?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 31-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Sussex
147 - Dodgy Suspension/Steering??

Hi Guys

Ive had my 147 JTD 8v for 3 months now, and when I bought it I quickly realised that the front bushes need replacing as they squeek away like a motel bed getting some late night action over any bumps (mainly slow bumps). I also had noted that my 147 doesnt like bumps full stop. My dad had a Guiletta and tells me that Alfa's and swears by its handling, however when I go over a bump in the road or a small hole/crack, its very very hard on the suspension.

The car has always had a slight steer to the left and tyre pressure is okay. In the last month I now notice that the handling is not that great. the only way I can explain it is that the streeing feels loose and I dont have that much confidence in the way the car handles bumps - it feels out of control.

Is this a common 147 issue due to its design or do I have some issues with suspension that I need to get looked at? Would greatly appreciate your wisdom!

Thank you
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Brera V6

I think it is pretty common. If you are getting a lot of movement under braking or the back end is not stable at speed:
- consider replace front balljoints (i.e., as part of a bigger upper and lower suspension arm replacement job). Also, replace the droplinks (and the anti roll bar if you are getting clonks - but ARB can be expensive as front sub frame has to come off). Play in the front suspension can give bump steer. The squeaking is probably the upper arms
- rear trailing arms can get damaged / rear bushing wears so that tracking feels wrong
- check the tracking (alignment). Parallel at the front, toed in at the back are the sports setting

The only way to really reduce crashiness is to change the shocks and springs. Koni FSD and Eibach prokit seem to work well. If you go to this expense, consider getting a Q2 LSD.

The cheap(ish) option is to replace the tyres, and do the front upper and lower wishbones. Also, check the rear suspension. Balance the wheels, check alloys for damage. Then get 4 wheel alignment.
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Originally Posted by alfa_mad View Post
- check the tracking (alignment). Parallel at the front, toed in at the back are the sports setting
Hi, I'm going to get my tracking done next week and was just wanting to know what it means toed in at the back = sport settings?

Plus if there is slight play on one side of the suspension, will tracking still be of any benefit after getting two new tires? or would it be pointless until the play is sorted out?

I have a 147 1.9 16v mjtd if that helps.

Last edited by nugget; 06-01-10 at 11:29. Reason: addition

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , dodgy , suspension or steering