Help me out...V6 Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 30-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

GTV Lusso 3.0

Help me out...V6 Problem

Right, I have had this issue for over a year now and it is getting worse and getting on my nerves.

I will be driving along and all of a sudden the engine management light will pop onto the dash and the car will become sluggish. Putting your foot down will result in 2 seconds of delay before anything happens but after that it goes normally.

I have connected it to Alfa Diag which gave an error which was reported as:
Failed Component Code: Throttle valve pedal plausibility or Throttle valve pedal spring control or Throttle valve actuator protection
Fault Symptom: Signal Not Plausible
Warning Lamp Status: Warning Lamp Illuminated
Fault Test State: Test not complete for this error.
Fault Code Storage State: Error Not Present at time of request
Event Count: 64 count
Filter Count: 0 count

I cleaned the throttle body, I hardwired the connector behind the dash, and it still continues to occur. The car has also started to take longer to start up.

What is the problem?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Do V6's have electronic throttles?* If so, it sounds like the throttle pedal potentiometer to me... Or throttle position sensor if not.

*EDIT: According to ePer, it does. P/N 60629558 or 46810176 (later models). You don't want to know the price

The 46810176 one is also found on CF3 TS engines, so you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand one easily/cheaply enough if it comes to that.

Last edited by iainfm; 30-12-09 at 17:29.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
It is normally the connection on the throttle body under the bonnet, or the connection for the throttle potentiometer behind the glovebox.

Failure of the actual potentiometer is quite rare, so the first thing to do is clean up these connections and reset the fault code.

I had this problem on my GTV and the connection at the throttle body was the culprit.
AO Member

Member car:

EP3 Type R

i have this problem too.....firstly i cut out the connector block behind the glovebox and twisted the wires together and then taped together, all fine for a month then hit a bump and the light came on and loss of power.
I then decided to solder them together, all fine for a couple of days then it happened again.
Tomorrow im going to look at the actual pedal potentionmeter connectors and see what i can find, also the one on the throttlebody like symon said(no pun intended)
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Well the one on the throttlebody is easy to get at, and it lives in a harsher environment than the one in the car so that is the one I would check first...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

outv6 , problem