156 v6 MAF SUPRISE (PLEASE READ) - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo 156 View Post
i've just gone through all this and found it a bit confusing.

too much to ask, but could the experts not (make an as complete as possible) list for each engine type in a single post?

2.5 cf1, cf2 cf3 etc.
2.0 cf1 and so on?
I cant imagine a maf from a v6 would be the same as a 1.6?!
v6 housing is different to smaller motorsas they have smaller bore but can use same sensor in side tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Highlands
yip were paying 100 more for a 1 or 2 cm wider plastic pipe ,, dont figure does it
AO Gold Member

i think anyone who has replaced their maf should take out sensor and list it in a new thread that i willl start so we can cross ref
ie .... .........0280218054 sensor no F00C 2G2 044......... V6 2.5 cf3 then when enough cars are logged in thread ,we will be able to cross ref to cheapest sensors out there
AO Silver Member

County: -
Re: 156 v6 MAF SUPRISE (PLEASE READ)

I work for a company where we charge a lot for our spares, it's where we make a lot of our profit , and that's exactly what car manufacturers do, only some are greedier than others. Im in no doubt the exact same sensor can be found in many makes of car, but the dealers are never going to admit this cos they will lose a fortune. I know it's wrong but it's also business. Be great if we could sort a comprehensive list of sensors we can use.
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire
I will post the outcome of mine once I receive the Vauxhall one from my wife tomorrow and its up and running
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieb123 View Post
I work for a company where we charge a lot for our spares, it's where we make a lot of our profit , and that's exactly what car manufacturers do, only some are greedier than others. Im in no doubt the exact same sensor can be found in many makes of car, but the dealers are never going to admit this cos they will lose a fortune. I know it's wrong but it's also business. Be great if we could sort a comprehensive list of sensors we can use.
ill start a new thread later on tonight entitled MAF DATABASE and ill link it to other forums on here so they can list what was in their cars ie housing no and sensor no ,model and engine so we can work out what is cheapest sensor ie if vauxhaul, lada whatever

so if anyone replaced theirs through garage they can get it off them so we can help each other on this issue
i know some cars are not gonna marry up especially ones that have been tampered with as like mine has 030 sensorinstaed of 044
so the more contributed the better
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Could someone confirm, in the pics Pascs posted up, which part is the actual sensor and which part is the MAF?

Has anyone had any success with just cleaning out their old sensor?
AO Silver Member

That would be brilliant especially as mine is just starting to play up a little. I'm getting a flatspot at around 4800rpm now and occassionally it almost stalls pulling up at junctions before the revs bounce back to 500ish rpm.
180 for my MAF is a joke.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntense
Could someone confirm, in the pics Pascs posted up, which part is the actual sensor and which part is the MAF?

I've heard a few people cleaning MAF sensors but it seems to be a very short fix.
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
ill start a new thread later on tonight entitled MAF DATABASE and ill link it to other forums on here so they can list what was in their cars ie housing no and sensor no ,model and engine so we can work out what is cheapest sensor ie if vauxhaul, lada whatever

so if anyone replaced theirs through garage they can get it off them so we can help each other on this issue
i know some cars are not gonna marry up especially ones that have been tampered with as like mine has 030 sensorinstaed of 044
so the more contributed the better
I wonder if a nice moderator could make it a sticky too as it would be very useful for reference purposes.

I've got my old one on the desk in front of me now.

AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntense View Post

the MAF is basically whole tube with sensor held in with 2 screws rarebear has an attachment on this thread with sensors pictured
bosch have part no on tube say for example 0 280 218 054 in their catalogue this is complete MAF unit
AO Member

I had a look for rarebears pics but couldnt find them, this MAF business is starting to drive me insane tbh.

Pretty sure I know what part the sensor is now anyway, when I unplug the torx screws, its the bit that comes out of the tube?

I just want a new sensor, Im guessing it will be the bosch part ending in 030 but will check for sure tomorrow.

Does anyone actually know what cars use the same sensor? If I went to a bosch dealer and said I want that part number (the 030 one) would it come up loads of different prices depending on the car model?

So I could go in and say I want that part number and have a look to see what comes up on the screen, point to the cheapest and say Ill take that one?

Can it really be that simple after trawling through endless threads, surely it cant be?
AO Gold Member

[QUOTE=1ntense;3369020]I had a look for rarebears pics but couldnt find them, this MAF business is starting to drive me insane tbh.

Pretty sure I know what part the sensor is now anyway, when I unplug the torx screws, its the bit that comes out of the tube?
YES

If I went to a bosch dealer and said I want that part number (the 030 one) would it come up loads of different prices depending on the car model?

DONT THINK BOSCH DEALER WILL HAVE THAT INFO
AO Gold Member

AO Member

Thats what I dont understand, well one of the things.. So I go to a bosch dealer, quote them the part number from my sensor and they quote me a price without asking what car its for? or do they need to ask me what car so they can give me a price?

Is it that different cars ie vauxhall or lada have the same sensor but its a different part number?

When I went into CAS and asked them for a price for one, they asked what car it was for. When I told them that the same cars used the same sensor and that some were cheaper, he said it would be the same price as it goes by the part number. Needless to say I didnt buy one from him but whats the crack with this?

All very confusing.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Thats what I dont understand, well one of the things.. So I go to a bosch dealer, quote them the part number from my sensor and they quote me a price without asking what car its for? or do they need to ask me what car so they can give me a price?

Is it that different cars ie vauxhall or lada have the same sensor but its a different part number?

When I went into CAS and asked them for a price for one, they asked what car it was for. When I told them that the same cars used the same sensor and that some were cheaper, he said it would be the same price as it goes by the part number. Needless to say I didnt buy one from him but whats the crack with this?

All very confusing.
sensor is priced according to part no but whole maf unit is priced according to car so if ferrari have a complete maf for 500 quid it might just have a 100 quid sensor in that very expensive plastic housing
AO Member

Ahhh, its starting to make a bit more sense now. Only a bit though, if the part number for the sensor is the same then you cant get it cheaper, it will be the same price for whatever car.

So Im wasting my time, I just need to find the part number, go to a bosch dealer and ask for that part number as I wont get it cheaper anyway unless I shop around for that same part number.

Its more for people looking for new MAFs or thinking that they need one when they could just get a new sensor to go inside their existing MAFs which are basically bits of tube as this would be cheaper?
AO Member

I just got a brand new boxed Bosch MAF for my 1.8 twinnie for 62 (inc VAT) from my local ALFA main dealer. I thought that was pretty good.

When I rang up he said the OEM MAF was 237 but they kept a stock of 'Pattern' parts @ 62. I can't imagine what the difference is - Perhaps the OEM one comes in an Alfa box?

New one is working a treat and the car now seems much livelier whereas it used to just tail off around 4500rpm.

So don't rule out giving a main dealer a ring - you may be surprised.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Ahhh, its starting to make a bit more sense now. Only a bit though, if the part number for the sensor is the same then you cant get it cheaper, it will be the same price for whatever car.

So Im wasting my time, I just need to find the part number, go to a bosch dealer and ask for that part number as I wont get it cheaper anyway unless I shop around for that same part number.

Its more for people looking for new MAFs or thinking that they need one when they could just get a new sensor to go inside their existing MAFs which are basically bits of tube as this would be cheaper?
tube never seems to fail only sensor does
hopefully i will have more info this week from a source im persuing so cant promise anything had no response off bosch themselves so trying a different path
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonfd View Post
I just got a brand new boxed Bosch MAF for my 1.8 twinnie for 62 (inc VAT) from my local ALFA main dealer. I thought that was pretty good.

When I rang up he said the OEM MAF was 237 but they kept a stock of 'Pattern' parts @ 62. I can't imagine what the difference is - Perhaps the OEM one comes in an Alfa box?

New one is working a treat and the car now seems much livelier whereas it used to just tail off around 4500rpm.

So don't rule out giving a main dealer a ring - you may be surprised.
have you old unit so you can put housing and sensor no's on maf data base ive started?
AO Member

Hi Dave

Yep still got the old one so will open it up and have a look.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonfd View Post
Hi Dave

Yep still got the old one so will open it up and have a look.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
tube never seems to fail only sensor does
hopefully i will have more info this week from a source im persuing so cant promise anything had no response off bosch themselves so trying a different path
OK, let me know if you have any luck mate.

Will keep my eyes peeled on the MAF threads anyway.

I heard a place called Alternative Autos had some but couldnt find any on their parts list, anyone else tried a pattern one with long term success?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
OK, let me know if you have any luck mate.

Will keep my eyes peeled on the MAF threads anyway.

I heard a place called Alternative Autos had some but couldnt find any on their parts list, anyone else tried a pattern one with long term success?
IMHO only fit bosch,cheaper long term...... F OOC part no are not as im aware of listed
(Post Link) post #100 of 143 Old 26-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Surrey
Here is the definative list for MAF sensor assemblies (tube and sensor) that will fit in a CF2 156 v6. These should be brand new genuine Bosch ones. You just need to got to your local Bosch dealer or car part auto factors and cross reference the part numbers and buy the cheapest one, which for me was the one at the bottom of the list, and from memory it turned out to be for a vauxhall. then remove the sensor from the new tube and fit into original larger tube on v6

Bosch 0 280 217 531
Bosch 0 280 218 001
Bosch 0 280 218 004
Bosch 0 280 218 019
Bosch 0 280 218 045
Bosch 0 280 218 108
Bosch 0 281 002 182
Bosch 0 281 002 199
Bosch 0 281 002 207
Bosch 0 281 002 208
Bosch 0 281 002 308
Bosch 0 281 002 309
Bosch 0 281 002 180

cheers

Richard Yeo
Prototype Development Technician
McLaren Technology Centre
Chertsey Road
Woking
Surrey
GU214DW

Last edited by yeosport; 26-04-10 at 17:57.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , maf , read , suprise