Sorry for the delay in getting back to you....
I managed to fix my car using just degreaser, a plastic tub, toothbrush and alot of elbow grease. Sounds like something Macgyver would do
After disconnecting the MAF and EGR cable the car still ran the same, so my brother and I decided to remove the EGR and just check it was okay. On removal we found that the EGR was carboned up and stuck in the open position. After spraying the darn thing with loads of degreaser and scrubbing it, we managed to get it working smoothly again. While we were cleaning the EGR we also removed the MAP sensor which too was completely bunged up with carbon. Using a soft toothbrush I managed to remove the crud that had accumulated in it and refitted it with the EGR.
To our surprise the car just burst into life. Turbo whining, lots of smoke (but that was just unburnt fuel) and no hesitation on the acceleration.
I'm well chuffed it's working again and only cost me the best part of £2. Brilliant....
Looks like the EGR was stuck in the open position and not allowing enough air into the inlet manifold causing the car to run too rich.
Hope this helps any other fellow Alfa drivers out there who have similar problems.
Thanks for all the input too.
Jobs a good’n